Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 23, 2004, 9:43 PM   #1

Metz? Sigma? Canon? What do you have/recommend?

Thanks!

Michelle
Ghostwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2004, 10:08 PM   #2

Canon 580EX! The Canon 20D and the 580EX both have ETTL II. It also accounts for the 1.6 crop factor and corrects white balance. It was tryng the flash out and comparing it tothebuilt in flash and their was a very noticeable difference it white balance. With the built-in flash theimagehad a yellow cast and with the 580EX it was absolutely dead on.
Marc Brackhahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:49 PM   #3

I own a pair of Canon 550EX flashes. I use them on a 20D and with a 1Ds MkII.

The brains for E-TTL II are in the cameras, not in the flashes. So any of the EX series flashes will give you the benefits of E-TTL II.

If I did not already own 550EX flashes, I'd buy the 580EX flash for the 20D. Marc is right about it being the best you can buy for the 20D.

Cheers,

Mitch
gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 11:54 AM   #4

Yous should also consider the Sigma 500 DG Super. It's a great flash at half the cost of the Canon 580. I'm sure the 580 is a better flash but I would suggest comparing them to see if it's THAT much better for twice the cost.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 3:35 PM   #5

Sounds like I need to visit our Wolf Utra store for a little comparison shopping between the Sigma and Canon. I guess it'll depend on what differences there are.

I was thinking the 580, but wasn't sure...

I have to get a flash soon - the dogs really hate the on-camera flash. Can't say I blame them. I don't like it either - gives them demonic eye! LOL! Bounce is really the only way to go with pets...

Ghostwriter is offline   Reply With Quote