Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 25, 2004, 9:11 AM   #1

Merry Christmas All! My family was generous enough to purchase a Sigma 500 flash (which I requested per NHL's recommendation) with an accompanying Lumiquest 80/20 system (with all the inserts), AND a Tokina AT-X 242 AF 24-200 (also recommended by NHL). Preliminary observations:
The 200mm length is not as long as my Canon 70-200 2.8L -- in fact, I'd say 200mm on the tokina is about equivalent to 135mm on the Canon. Is there not a lens crop factor on the Tokina (because it's made for ditigal cameras? the "manual" [read: slip of paper] included with the lens says nothing)???

The sigma flash seems really great, but I have no idea how to use it. The manual is very difficult to understand. And when I attach it to my Dig Reb, the dig reb doesn't seem to take it into consideration when metering -- e.g., I'm shooting the ubiquitious "room of house" shot with the flash attached, on Tv mode with a shutter speed of 1/100 sec, and the camera opens the lens all the way wide and flashes the aperture setting (indicating that the picture will be too black). but duh, the flash fires and it's fine. Can I not use the flash on E-TTL in any mode except Auto? I can't understand the instructions on how to use the flash wirelessly... is there something I have to do with my camera to get the camera to transmit the shutter signal?

Yeah, I know, each of my questions should probably be written separately and placed in different forums, but hey, it's Christmas, maybe we can all share what booty was under the tree (and the underlying frustrations with it!)

Have a good one,
~kjk
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:58 AM   #2
NHL

The Tokina AT-X 242 AF 24-200 is just as long as any 200 in focal lenght :idea:

The 1.6x applies to the camera and not the lens (ie it's 1x with a 1Ds), and has nothing to do with 'digital' !

As to the EF-500DG Super: press the Mode switch until the flash says 'E-TTL'. You only have to set this once and the flash will remember it everytime it's attached to the camera... It's self On/Off so you don't even need to switch it off.

If the E-TTL symbol is accompanied by'lightning bolts' symbols the flash is in the wireless mode (just press the mode button repeately until the lone 'E-TTL' symbol appears again). The 'E-TTL' mode works just like any other Canon flashes (the shutter as well as the ISO setting will betransfered correctly)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2004, 9:45 AM   #3
smd

Under my tree was the tripod and flash I asked for. It is a Quantaray QDC 900WA and it works awesome with my drebel. So far I have had perfect exposures every shot.

Merry Christmas all!

Sam D.
smd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:01 AM   #4

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The Tokina AT-X 242 AF 24-200 is just as long as any 200 in focal lenght :idea:

The 1.6x applies to the camera and not the lens (ie it's 1x with a 1Ds), and has nothing to do with 'digital' !

I know that's supposed to be what happens, but I swear to you that when you compare the field of view at 200mm on the Tokina to 200mm on my Canon 70-200 L, the Tokina is MUCH wider--I'd say about equivalent of 150mm or so on the Canon. And I've made sure I'm pulling the zoom ring all the way.... Is it possible that the zoom ring on my Tokina was improperly calibrated to stop short of the lens's full zoom length?

Quote:
As to the EF-500DG Super: press the Mode switch until the flash says 'E-TTL'. You only have to set this once and the flash will remember it everytime it's attached to the camera... It's self On/Off so you don't even need to switch it off.

If the E-TTL symbol is accompanied by'lightning bolts' symbols the flash is in the wireless mode (just press the mode button repeately until the lone 'E-TTL' symbol appears again). The 'E-TTL' mode works just like any other Canon flashes (the shutter as well as the ISO setting will betransfered correctly)
I've tried EVERY mode... including the E-TTL without the wireless mode/lightning bolts. The ISO and focal length is recognized by the flash (it zooms appropriately etc) but it seems that the flash isn't being recognized by the camera.

The metering in my camera (in every mode except full auto) always shows > -2 exposure... if I try to shoot in Av or Tv modes, the camera will always adjust the aperature wide open (in Tv mode, when I set the shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/200 with the flash) or to some god awful shutter speed like 1/2 second (in Av mode, when I try to shoot on f/8 or higher, with the flash). So, right now, unless i shoot on full auto (which on my camera defaults to 1/60 and wide open lens) Av and Tv modes are completely useless with the flash.. I have to shoot on full manual (which the camera thinks will be completely underexposed) to get a good shot with the flash, and I have no way of knowing until after i take the picture whether the thing is exposed properly (Flash exposure compensation, f-stop, and ISO setting). What am I doing wrong?

Also, it seems that when I increase the flash exposure compensation (say, to +1/3 or +2/3) the effective range gets shorter (as listed on the flash) but when you decrease FEC the effective range gets longer. FEC increases the power of the flash, right? I mean, it seems to just from my own test shots. So why does the flash seem to tell me that my subject must be closer??

Totally confused,

~kjk

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:04 AM   #5

...and it woud help if Sigma's manual made any sense at all. But the translation from Japenese is terrible, andc the description of the features is horrible. I'm a pretty quick study and good with technology, but I have no idea how to set up wireless E-TTL... I mean, set the mode to wireless E-TTL, but I tried that and I got nothing... :?:?:?

Frustrated beyond belief,

~kjk

Old Dec 31, 2004, 2:21 AM   #6
NHL

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
I've tried EVERY mode... including the E-TTL without the wireless mode/lightning bolts. The ISO and focal length is recognized by the flash (it zooms appropriately etc) but it seems that the flash isn't being recognized by the camera.
It's recognized by the camera... just fine when the ISO and focal lenght interact with the camera
-> You should see a lightning bolt in the viewfinder as well when the flash is recharged and ready, and flashing lightning bolts as confirmation of a successful flash firing!

Quote:
The metering in my camera (in every mode except full auto) always shows > -2 exposure... if I try to shoot in Av or Tv modes, the camera will always adjust the aperature wide open (in Tv mode, when I set the shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/200 with the flash) or to some god awful shutter speed like 1/2 second (in Av mode, when I try to shoot on f/8 or higher, with the flash). So, right now, unless i shoot on full auto (which on my camera defaults to 1/60 and wide open lens) Av and Tv modes are completely useless with the flash.. I have to shoot on full manual (which the camera thinks will be completely underexposed) to get a good shot with the flash, and I have no way of knowing until after i take the picture whether the thing is exposed properly (Flash exposure compensation, f-stop, and ISO setting). What am I doing wrong?
The -2EV varies with the position of the AF focus point -> If you were to focus on something dark it could easily flip to +2EV :?
1. On Av you pick the aperture, but the camera will pick a slower shutter speed to achieve a flash fill with ambient light -> this behavior is identical to my 550EX
2. On Tv you select the shutter speed but this time the camera select the largest aperture available with a lens to maximize the distance plus to maintain a balance fill -> Again the Canon 550EX behave the same here...
3. To control both aperture and shutter, use the camera in manual mode -> the flash is still on automatic E-TTL and the pictures will come out correctly exposed (confirmed by the flashing lightning bolt in the camera's viewfinder)!

Only when the EF-500DG Super is set on manual will the camera cease to communicate with the flash... You're doing nothing wrong, my 550EX does the same!
BTW when the camera is set to manual its metering is changed to centerweight instead of evaluative based on the AF points so you should get a more balanced flash as well...

Quote:
but I have no idea how to set up wireless E-TTL... I mean, set the mode to wireless E-TTL, but I tried that and I got nothing... :?:?:?
You'll need two(2) flashes for this to work: One flash is set as a Master and the other one(s) as Slave(s) -> The Master unit can either contribute to the lighting or its output can be totally muted and only the Slave(s) do the lightings! I used my two Sigma's and the 550EX interchangeably.
FYI http://www.pbase.com/canon550ex/image/23295566
:-)
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:04 AM   #7

Okay, just to summarize:

Using Av or Tv shooting modes will always equate to using the flash as a fill flash? In other words, the ONLY way to get a properly exposed photo is to use manual mode (or auto, but then you're stuck with 1/60 and wide open lens).

There's no way to use the camera's internal meter to get an accurate exposure reading prior to the shot? It's just guess and check?

The DG Super cannot be slaved off my Digial Rebel's internal flash, but requires another DG Super or 550ex as a master?
Old Jan 1, 2005, 9:41 AM   #8
NHL

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:
Okay, just to summarize:

Using Av or Tv shooting modes will always equate to using the flash as a fill flash? In other words, the ONLY way to get a properly exposed photo is to use manual mode (or auto, but then you're stuck with 1/60 and wide open lens).
Correct!
The Manual mode is really not manual since the flash still remained on Auto (E-TTL), ie the camera still control the flash metering correctly through-the-lens :?

Quote:
There's no way to use the camera's internal meter to get an accurate exposure reading prior to the shot? It's just guess and check?
FEL lock does this - The * button (works the same as without flash), it fires a pre-flash for the camera to meter of

Quote:
The DG Super cannot be slaved off my Digial Rebel's internal flash, but requires another DG Super or 550ex as a master?
This is Canon for you... You need at least an ST-E2 (cost the same as another DG Super!)
The Minolta's have this feature for ever, and now even the Nikon D70 let you use the built-in flash (in Master Commander mode) for wireless control of the slaves...

However, unlike the Canon unit's the Sigma DG Super can be programmed into a 'dumb' studio slave mode and they'll work off their internal photoeye sensor... to trigger from the camera's built-in flash.
You just won't be on E-TTL anymore (use the distance scale instead) :idea:
Old Jan 1, 2005, 10:49 AM   #9

One exception is if you set Custom-Function-03 to 1 (on the 20D, not sure if the dRebel has an equivilent, you will have to check your camera manual) . This forces a flash sync of 1/250 in AV mode.This option is usfull at times, can be really annoying if you forget you turned it on at others though.

perdendosi wrote:
Quote:

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote