Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 16, 2005, 3:14 AM   #21

wburychka is right, L glass doesnt slove every thing and skill is far more important that equipment.

Here is my mind set. If I use a $300 lens and I get a bad shot or miss a shot because it didnt focus fast enough was it the lens or was it the fact I should have used MF and just been ready for that shot if it was predictable in one spot? Or if I buy the $1500 top rated L series lens and I get a bad shot well I cant blame the lens there isnt anything that much better so I know where the problem is and have a choice I can work to fix the problem or quit and after that investment your less likely to quit.

Like this shot the lens did its job but in panning to follow the runner and I failed to get ready for the slide I should have lowered my focus point this was my 1st softball game with a slide it happened so fast and without any prioir exp it was hard to get the shot composed for shallow DOF and it killed this shot.
Attached Images

VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:25 AM   #22

Please do yourself a favour and try out the Sigma 70-200 2.8. Mine arrived from BHPhoto about a week ago and it is a superb lens. I'm suddenly amazed at the detail my camera can record (20D).

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I compared the sharpness of the lens to 3 others, Canon 17-85, Canon 50 1.8, Sigma 175-500. It literally blows these out of the water. There really is a marked difference between consumer and pro type lenses.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:13 AM   #23
NHL

To illustrate JohnReid point, here's an example of what my two years old Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX can do: :idea:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 6:47 AM   #24

Great shot NHL, how did you get that close? Did you use a convertor?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 9:00 AM   #25
NHL

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
... how did you get that close? Did you use a convertor?
No that was taken @ the 195mm setting

This was shot with a 2x teleconverter:

-> I must admit I'm a 3rd party lens bigot; However the difference is I have more Canon lenses (and L lenses) than some of the Canon diehards! :lol: :-) :G

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:00 AM   #26

I've noticed you enjoy third party lenses, I too favor the third party lenses - the quality difference between canon L glass and Sigma EX glass does not warrant the price difference IMO.

Are any of your shots cropped and do you use a full frame type camera or a reduced frame sensor type camera(I'm using the 20d). Either way, you've inspired me to try some bird shooting with my new lens