Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2004, 2:46 PM   #1

I realize thiswill be vieweda sillyquestion from a "newbie", but I am having trouble getting reliable answers, so here goes.

I have a Canon Elan II 35 mm camera that I have used for a number of years. As such I have several lenses for it. My wife purchased a Canon 20D for me for Christmas. She was told that the lenses for the Elan would be interchangeable with the Digital. They do fit on the camera, and to my untrained eye their "pickups" look identical to the lens that came with the 20D, but for some reason the autofocus does not work on them with the 20D. When I put the same lenses back on the Elan the auto focus works fine. So obviously my question is Was she mis informed about the lenses compatibility? Or does the fact that the auto focus portion does not work still considered compatible?

I don't have the lenses in front of me, but the two that I can not get to work are both Sigma lenses, I believe one is a 28-80mm, and the other is a 100-300mm.

Thanks for any help....

chris
chrisg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2004, 3:16 PM   #2

yes there is a communicationsissue between sigma lenses and canons digital bodies. contact sigma about the fix which will require them to be sent to them for service. there is an interface circuit in the lens which will need to be replaced.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 1:11 AM   #3

Some of the older Sigma lenses will get an error code when using them on Canon digital SLRs, some work fine. The newer Sigma EX-DG series are all compatible. My 20mm f1.8 Sigma is a FANTASTIC lens as is my Sigma 170-500mm APO lens. My Sigma 28mm f1.8 lens won't work on either my 20D or 10D, but works Great on my EOS Elan IIE. The newer Sigma 28mm f1.8 EX will work with the digital EOS cameras though. ...John
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:27 AM   #4

I have a Sigma 28-300mm lens which I've used with my EOS Rebel and my plan was to purchase a Digital Rebel 300d body only and save money on not have to get another lens.

1. Has anyone tried a 28-300 with the Digital Rebel?

2.Also, I'm reading the Sigma is making lenses specifically designed for digital cameras. I thought one of the values in purchasing a digital SLR would be to re-use lenses from your film SLR. Is there a significant difference in the digital lenses that flies in the face of this strategy and we all need to be purchase digital lenses too?

Thanks.
battement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:22 PM   #5
NHL

battement wrote:
Quote:
2. Also, I'm reading the Sigma is making lenses specifically designed for digital cameras. I thought one of the values in purchasing a digital SLR would be to re-use lenses from your film SLR. Is there a significant difference in the digital lenses that flies in the face of this strategy and we all need to be purchase digital lenses too?
That's the general idea... I plan on buying only 'non-digital' lens so in case I decide to switch over to a full-frame where a 'cropped' digital lens might not work

The only benefit of 'digital' lenses are that they are usually more compact and lighter (cheaper in some case)... their angle of incidence is also better if you get into technical :?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote