Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1

Hi!
I recently purchased a Tokina AT-X 24-200mm lens to use on my Canon EOS 20D. Not only is it a great vacation lens, but it is a fantastic walk-around everyday lens. When I crank the ISO to 200 or better, I find that it is plenty fast, especially considering the 20D's quality at higher ISO ratings. I'm amazed to find that I like the results as well or better than my Sigma 18-125mm walk-around lens, which I keed on my old 10D as a walk-around lens. If you need a good lens at a reasonable price that has a huge focal range, I think you might give the Tokina a good look. If you have one, please share your opinion with me. I had a Tokina 28-210mm lens that was total crap, but the 24-200mm AT-X is a totally different animal. If you have experiences with the Tokina AT-X 24-200mm, lets hear about it. THANKS! ....John
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:45 AM   #2

John-

I gave my 300D to my wife when I got my 20D.

She also inheirited my Tokina 24/200. Now I can't get it back !!
Her shots from this rival my Canon 70/200.
It is a very good lens. Money well spent. A tad slower to focus, but for the majority of shots it can't be beat.

Solid build for sure, and well worth the money.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:29 AM   #3

I got the Tokina 24-200 AT-X 242AF for Christmas. I haven't had a whole lot of time to experiment with it, but I'm quite pleased as well. From my preliminary observations, the lens seems quite sharp, focuses fast, and performs reasonably well throughout the focal length range

--BUT--

I swear to you that the 200mm telephoto setting is WIDER than the 200mm telephoto on my Canon 70-200 2.8 L. I have taken shots of the same scene with both lenses (from the same place) and the Canon is considerably more closeup -- I'd say that 200mm on the Tokina is about 150 on the Canon (which, I suppose would be about a 200mm equivalent after a 1.6 crop factor) What could be causing this? Is my zoom ring not working properly (and yes, I turn it all the way telephoto... the outside of the lens indicates that it is 200mm and I cannot turn the ring any more)? Is it out of alignment in some way? Do I have a defective lens? I am absoultely befuddled.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:08 PM   #4

perdendosi,
I compared mine with my Canon EF 75-300mm set at 200mm. The image I got was virtually the same as the AT-X when maxed at 200mm. Your lens may be defective.
JKAyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:29 AM   #5

Well, thanks for the response... even if it's not the one I wanted to hear

I'll send an e-mail to B&H; see what I should do.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote