Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2004, 9:28 PM   #1

In most of the forums Ive noticed that people with a Drebel upgraded their kit lenses for something better, mainly the 28-135. I have been looking for another lens to be my walk about lens rather than the kit one. I have a bid on a brand new 28-90 lens that was part of a 20D kit and I also own a 90-300 lens so I thought that the gap would be filled and it was a pretty good Idea. Now Im wondering if I have made a mistake, Im told that the 28-90 is no better than the kit lens I have and that I wont have as much view (wide end). I dont intend throwing away the kit lens but Im just wondering if getting the 28-90 is a good Idea, price is not an issue as I may well pick this lens up for about $99au or $69usa which is pretty reasonable here in Australia.

If the view is so much less on the wide end of things with a lens starting at 28, why are so many people going for the 28-135 lens???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:32 AM   #2

The thing about the 28-135 is that it is an affordable zoom lens with IS which counteracts some shake at large zooms.

No, it does not go very wide angle - the standard 18-55 lens will do that. The 28-90 was never offered as a standard lens for a 20D - however, if you multiply 18-55 by 1.6, you get something close !!!

Personally, I have a 12-24, the 18-55 and the 28-135 and I find this grouping works well for most of what I shoot.

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:36 PM   #3

:?Lady, I have seen you are pretty active with this group and take some pretty good pics. I am new but have been watching for some time now and am really impressed with the help on this forum.

Re: Your lense question, I use the 17x85 a lot on my 20D. I was really impressed with it right out of the box. Can't speak for the 28x135, but it appears to be a pretty good lense. For me, I wanted as wide an angle as I could get for a semi reasonable price. The 17x85 lets me take indoor shots when I need to get close or landscape and also has the semi telephoto 85 feature. In my opinion, it has been missjudged in some of the forums as it is being compared to L lense quality which it probably is not. The IS feature does work and from I have read only, the focus may be quicker than the 28x135.

If you can afford it, the 10x20 [hope that is right] is a lense I would like to try as it gives real wide angle shots. But on the long side is not as convenient as the 85 on the above.

Good luck with you descision. $.02for what its worth
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Drebel upgraded their kit lenses for something better, mainly the 28-135
a better lens for you might be the new Canon - EF-S 17-85MM F/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. This will equal out to be the same as the 28-135 IS after the 1.6 magnification factor. It is not a cheap lens though runs about 599 US.

I considered this lens for my Digital Rebel but I am not that interested in IS because I very seldom shoot low light without flash. When I do shoot low light without flash I use my trusty 50 1.8 or I would get a fast 2.8 zoom. I believe faster glass andor tripod/monopodis better than IS.

I am ugprading my kit lens to the Canon 17-40 F4L I don't see any reason to upgrade if you are not going L-series as the kit lens is good wide angle andactually takes pretty good pictures.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:38 PM   #5

Hey LADY -

If you want to see 28-135 in action go to my gallery

www.pbase.com/jpferguson

Most of those shots are from that lens. Some of them are about 200+ feet away. If you need specifics let me know.
The Canon 28-135 is money well spent.

P.S. - the zoo shots are with my 100-400L IS USM
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 6:00 AM   #6

thanks, nice shots.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 8:28 PM   #7

I guess it really depends on what your needs are and what you are trying to accomplish in your photograhy. I am trying to create photos for sell. I am predicting eventually my equipment will pay for itself so I don't mind spending a little extra. Here is a link to a technical review of the 28-135 IS comparing it to another lens the 28-105.

http://www.tawbaware.com/canon_lens_test.htm

The really big comparison though is comparing these two lens to the 50 1.8 man what a HUGE difference in sharpness.

http://www.tawbaware.com/canon_lens_test2.htm

But, like I said it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. However, If you are going to spend like $400+ for a lens I would save a little longer and go all out for an L-series lens.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote