Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2004, 3:57 PM   #1

Well, after continually shooting with my camera and working with photoshop to sharpen, I am pretty confident that the lack of focus I was seeing was mainly due to the fact that in comparisson to my P/S camera, images are just softer out of the camera. This along with the fact that the way the SLR/lenses work depth of field is extremely important to control in comparisson to a P/S camera. I am now getting very good results. Not only are the images sufficiently sharp, but the reduced noise from the DSLR is so much better than my old cameras. I must say that I am still working on controlling depth of field. I shot a photo that was completely wide (18mm on the 18-55mm lens). It was a long table with family members seated at it from end to end. I was about 6 feet away from the first person and assumed that all should be in focus. My focus point was at the furthest end of the table. The subjects closest to me were out of focus. This is an example of how my old (careless) P/S technique will not cut it anymore. Ithink I shouldhave focused on the closest subject and thatwould have rendered all in the distance in focus.

Am I correct?

I am ready to order up my second lens now. I have decided on the 28-135mm because of its small size and good reach. After that, I will be after the 28-200mm F4L for outdoor better quality shots.

Thanks to everyone for keeping my confidence up when I feared a focus problem with my camera.

Bob
Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2004, 6:16 PM   #2

No, focussing on the nearest subject will not necessarily resolve your problem in this instance. With such a short focal length you will have an extremely narrow depth of field.Closing your aperture right down to f11 or smaller will lengthen your DoF. At 18mm and f3.5 (assuming you were indoors and lens wide open) your total DoF would have been about 5 feet, starting at 4.4 feet and ending at 9.3 feet. Check out the DoF calculator at http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html, very helpful and instructive site.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 1:11 PM   #3

Jasper666 wrote:
Quote:
After that, I will be after the 28-200mm F4L for outdoor better quality shots.
Hi,

I'd strongly recommend the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS, it's my lens of choice and believe it's worth the extra!

Just my 2 cents!

Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:59 PM   #4

Jasper666: I cannot find a 28-200F4L listed did you mean the 70-200F4L ?

CarlsPhotos: While I agree with your lens choice :-)(The non IS version is my no1 pick), it is a major step up in price. Looking at the Canadian listings for the 70-200 the F4L is 850$cdn, the F2.8L is 1800$cdn, and the F2.8L IS is a whopping 2700$cdn. I'd say probably out of the budget range of most people. Hum, looks like each step up adds about 1K$ to the price.:roll:

CarlsPhotos wrote:
Quote:
Jasper666 wrote:
Quote:
After that, I will be after the 28-200mm F4L for outdoor better quality shots.
Hi,

I'd strongly recommend the 70-200mm F2.8 L IS, it's my lens of choice and believe it's worth the extra!

Just my 2 cents!

Carl.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:43 AM   #5

Hi,

I actually got my lens from Hong Kong as it's way out of my budget within the UK. Luckily, I got away without having to pay any import tax! Again, saved a bit of money.

Might be worth looking on eBay for new lens from HK.

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 3:57 AM   #6

There is NO such lens as a 28-200mm 4.0L. Also, the Canon 28-200mm USM lens has gotten very bad reviews over at www.fredmiranda.com I have not ever seen anyone else mention this lens. I wish Canon would make a 24-135mm IS about f4.0L to replace their 28-135 (which I have - it is my #1 use lens),, or a 22-105mm 2.8L
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 11:14 AM   #7

RAILFIRE-

I assume you are talking about Canon lenses only.

I have the TOKINA 24-200 AFX and it is equal to Canons 70-200f4 Lat the far end.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 2:48 PM   #8

Yes, sorry. I was talking bout the 70-200 f4L
Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 3:26 PM   #9

Quote:
I have decided on the 28-135mm because of its small size and good reach
If you have a Canon Digital Rebel the better lens to get will be the new EF-S 17-85 IS. This is basically the same lens as the 28-135 when you add in the 1.6 magnification factor on the Digital Rebel. The EF-S 17-85 IS is lighter and will focus faster on a Drebel than the older 28-135 IS (44-216 on Drebel).

I have also decided on the 70-200 F4L I have heard it is the best L-series lens you can get for the money. I am also going to get the 17-40 F4L. I personally have decided to stay away from EF-S lenses because I may get a used pro camera later. I have also decided to stay away from IS unless I am getting both IS and L-series like an 2.8 IS L $$$. I am able to shot with flash or studio lights for most of my work, I almost always use a tripod or monopod even in good light.

I think you will be quite happy with 70-200 F4L.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote