Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:49 PM   #1

Hi all, and Happy Holidays. I was shooting in Tv mode on my Rebel and using continuous drive. It occured to me that it doesn't appear to repeat auto focusing for each of the four photos taken? Taking pics of an onrushing very energetic dog named Stella makes me wonder. Does the 300d refocus each shot in continuous drive, or just use the first autofocus point for all four photos? Thanks everyone. gary
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2005, 7:58 PM   #2

I believe in Tv mode the DRebel will just focus once... Try shoting in Av mode. In Av mode if the camera detects mode it will automattically switch to continous focus (Sports mode does the same kind of thing but then you lose control (ISO is set to 400)... (some one will correct me if i'm wrong... )
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:09 AM   #3

Use the sport mode, it's very good and focuses really well.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 7:13 AM   #4
NHL

Actually Tv (as well as P, Av and M) also automatically switches from One-Shot AF to continuous AF if the camera detects movement

-> You can fool the 300D into continous AF from One-Shot AF by 'simulating' motion in shaking the camera while 1/2 press the shutter release. You can tell when you are in continous AF by the turning off of the red AF points selection - the camera will continuously focus without highlighting the AF points.

The Sport mode defaults the camera to continuous AF only, but like Mr Saginaw said you'll lose the ISO control...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 11:17 AM   #5

NHL

You're right about the ISO, but the camera sets this to suite anyway doesn't it. I know it restricts you a bit but the Sport mode does focus well and is the easy option.

BTW, what happened to the post about the Zeiss Lenses or am I on another planet right now.

Some guy was saying that he had changed all his canon lenses for contax zeiss ones with an adaptor. You posted a reply and a link and I replied also. I can't find that thread anymore.

Cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 2:06 PM   #6

mf_blues

I think the thread you're looking for is Odd-ball adapter in the Canon lens forum.
Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 6:16 PM   #7
NHL

Pinto wrote:
Quote:
mf_blues

I think the thread you're looking for is Odd-ball adapter in the Canon lens forum.
That wasn't it... IMO it got deleted - advertising ???
I can't locate it either
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 6:43 PM   #8

I am not sure, but I think this was one of the things the Digital Rebel Russian hack allows you to control. I used this hack to enable a couple other features that worked out pretty well.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 10:54 AM   #9

I revisited this post today and still seem baffled. I just tried again in Tv/Av, and no amount of moving the camera with the shutter button half depressed will result in a change of focus. The reason I wish it did was I'd like the option of shooting in Tv, continuous drive but also continuous focus. By the fourth photo, the original focus point is off when shooting moving swimmers. The Sports mode works ok but I'd like control over ISO as well as centering the focus point. Some times the camera focuses on the wrong swimmer in Sports. Oh well, I guess it's another reason to upgrade someday. gary
tuthill is offline   Reply With Quote