Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2005, 3:35 PM   #1

Great 2 weeks before a wedding shoot and my D60 is giving problems in the worst possible way (for a wedding anyway). The higher I set my ISO the worse it gets. ISO 100 seems fine but...

... as I turn up the iso (200, 400, 800, 1000) there appears a blue (top) to amber (bottom) cast (gradient) over all the images. I've checked all the settings against a plain white background and can confirm that the problem gets worse the higher the iso setting I use. I've searched the web and never heard or seen this happen anywhere. Anyone else heard of this problem or any fixes?? I live in the Caribbean so repairs are VERY costly (in terms of TIME). I am going to shoot this wedding with iso 100 for the garden portraits but all the shots in the church will have to be done with my Elan and high speed film. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
event is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:42 AM   #2

Replying to my own original entry here... I formatted the CF (1GB) card and the problem went away.... bizzarre. I have checked again against a plain white surface and the gradient cast is no longer there - not even at iso 1000. Has anyone EVER heard of a CF card error affecting multiple images in this way?? I still don't think it's possible.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have a new 100-400mm L lens with Image Stabilisation. Canon suggests that you should trun IS off when mounting/unmounting the lens. I though I had been vigilant but maybe I hadn't. Even so, has anyone ever heard of IS affecting images like this??

I believe that one of these days, for no reason, that cast is going to return.
Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:47 AM   #3
Administrator

Although rarely reported, and controversial, I have seen users report that memory cards caused photo problems in cameras before.

In these cases, it's more likely due to some type of voltage/current issue (where one card may be drawing more currrent versus another).

In your case, it may not have been the card at all. Something in the camera's memory may have been corrupted (just as a PC's operating system sometimes get confused, requiring a reboot).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:42 PM   #4

Unfortunately - the problem's back again. Formetting cards won't help now so I don't know what was really causing it. Damn. Any more advice would be gratefully appreciated. How do you 'reboot'? Take out the battery for a while??

Thanks.