Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 12, 2005, 12:24 PM   #11

I have cleaned my Digital Rebel Sensor four times since I have owned it. I used the eclispe fluid method with a sensor swab for two of the cleanings and a the eclispe fluid and pec-pads for the other two (the copperhill site method). Both work fine. The sensor swabs I have are the older ones that only have the pad wrapped around what amounts toq-tip type applicator and they are an not ridged so they don't pick up real stickey dust. My unerstanding is that there is a new sensor swab which has a flexible plastic 'blade' that the pad wraps around to provide some support. The copper hill method uses a cut-down rubber spatula that the pec-pad is wrapped around and that provides the needed support. The bottom line is that both methods work real well. I also have the sensor brush from visible dust but haven't needed to do a cleaning since I got them. Can you damage the low-pass filter. It is possible to do so but having done this several times I think it is about as 'danagrous' as cleaning the front element of a lens and you need to use the same care. I have used the rocket air blower but not with success, in fact I ended up blowing more junk on the sensor.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:25 PM   #12

on an EOS D series camera its not a low pass filter. what it is an anti alias filter. as with any method using physical contact with the imager/filterand applying anyforce you run the risk of issues. without getting into the politics of any method, what ever one you choose, just use the propertechnique or risk damage to the imaging package.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:18 AM   #13

SJMM: Low-pass and Anti Alais fliter terms are used interchangeable in most reviews and denotes the sameelement in front of the sensor. It is the same thing.

WJL100
WJL100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:29 AM   #14

sjms wrote:
Quote:
guess i haven't run into that yet in 3 years and a few trips around the block with them.
That's definitely quite lucky. Depends on the environment you're in. The dirty ccd problem in dlsr cameras is well known. I'm confident that a lot of people that are experienced with camera equipment would change their lenses in careful ways...but eventually the dirt will get on it, and these 'sophisticated' cleaning techniques then need to be used to get the dirt off. Just keeping the camera upside down and using air blowing won't necessarily give you dirt/grime-free ccd.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:51 AM   #15

Kuwait, Dubai, ........(industrial shooting)

the North Cascades, Wa, White Mountain National Forest, kayaking the Maine coast north ofAcadia NP

Newark liberty Intl Airport (constantly under construction) all seasons (industrial shooting)

throughout various commercial aircraft airframes and engine (tech train images) 777 767 757 737

news shooting in Somerset and Union counties in NJ for locals

not so fun trips into NYC

thats just the 2003-2004 schedule

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:28 PM   #16

sjms wrote:
Quote:
Kuwait, Dubai, ........(industrial shooting)

the North Cascades, Wa, White Mountain National Forest, kayaking the Maine coast north of Acadia NP

Newark liberty Intl Airport (constantly under construction) all seasons (industrial shooting)

throughout various commercial aircraft airframes and engine (tech train images) 777 767 757 737

news shooting in Somerset and Union counties in NJ for locals

not so fun trips into NYC

thats just the 2003-2004 schedule

That's quite a busy schedule alright. So do you expect that if every single person out there with a DSLR that follows your 'exact' procedures will never ever get dust/grime on their CCD so that the chemical cleaning products out there will be completely unnecessary?
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 2:56 AM   #17

Specks after Canon cleaned the CCD: not perfect, somewhere between what I consider okay and what I was able to acheive with an rubber air blower.

Attached Images

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:15 PM   #18

I have noticed some spots while looking through my viewfinder. I assume these are either on the mirror or focussing screen. What is the best way to clean these?

Thanks
shawnee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:20 PM   #19

My experienced recommendation: Air

But don't blow on it with your mouth though, use a hand blower. If the dust won't come off, then try a very fine (but ultra clean) brush. See the links above for brushes.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:18 AM   #20

shawnee3 wrote:
Quote:
I have noticed some spots while looking through my viewfinder. I assume these are either on the mirror or focussing screen. What is the best way to clean these?

Thanks

Had the same problem onmy brand new 20 D. Had a spot on the upper left hand corner of my focusing screen which is better seen when you look through the lens from the front with a bright light shown through the viewfinder. After removing the lens, what I did was to invert the camera body and blasted the focusing screen with air coming from a nebulizer which successfully dislodged it. For insurance I also cleaned the sensor the same way to make sure the dust spot didn't go there:-)
Oculus Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote