Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 3, 2005, 7:33 PM   #1

I have just sold my Olympus E-10 and looking to buy a good Canon dSLR. Excuse my ignorance but I have an old Canon A-1 with several FD lens. Will these lens be compatible with the 20D?
If not, can someone give me some basic lens I would need to purchase to start out. Portraits, close-up and some action shots. Guess I been trapped into the Olympus mode a little to long of an attached lens on the body of the camera.

Last, for you out there who own the 20D was it worth buying in your opinion?

Thanks a lot guys
Mike
KQ0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:20 PM   #2

No unfortunately the old FD mount lenses won't fit on any of the EOS series bodies.

The 20D can take any EF, EF L or EF-s(only fitthe dRebel and 20D)series lens.

Remember that theEOS D series(dRebel 10D, 20D) have a 1.6x crop factor, so any lens you mounton them acts like it is1.6 times longer.

My favorite lens for going walkabout has become the Tamron 28-75 F2.8. Closely followed by the 17-40 F4 L. Both these lenses are around the 700$cdn-800$cdn mark.

And lastly :-)yes, the I am really pleased with the 20D. It has a few annoyances like the 3 position on switch, and I keep opening the CF card door when I take the camera out of the case. But all in all it is turning out to be a good solid performer.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:00 AM   #3

Thanks for the report-- gonna get the 20D in a week. Seems like there is a bundle deal going with one lens in the box EF-S 18-55mm Lens. I will prob go for the first lens you mentioned as a general purpose for the time being. I just may keep my A-1 as it takes some great pictures. Never- the- less I believe Canon is the way to go. Good quality and the folks seem to be happy with it. Now to get some telephoto lens for some action shots will be a chore with their costs but we will see. Thanks again. Mike
KQ0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:48 AM   #4

Ya, the never ending spiral of camera additions :-)

For high quality mid sized Telephotos both Canon and Sigma make a 70-200 F2.8, problem is they cost almost as much as the camera itself.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote