Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2005, 7:48 AM   #1

With my 20D I also have a battery grip (BG-E2) which holds two batteries and even though I have just fully charged both batteries the LCD Battery check always shows them as being half empty?

Has anyone else experienced this?
grant.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:43 AM   #2

Have you tested both batteries in the camera itself? Maybe one of them is a bit off... and btw: don't mix 511A with 514 in the bgrip...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:54 AM   #3

Thanks pauza

What does 'btw' mean?!

Why should you not mix 511A with 514 in the grip and how do I tell?
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:22 AM   #4

grant.smith wrote:
Quote:
Thanks pauza

What does 'btw' mean?!

Why should you not mix 511A with 514 in the grip and how do I tell?
"btw" means "by the way". You'll see lots of abbreviations like that round here. "IMO" means "In my opinion" and "RTFM" means .... well, I'll let you find that one out

I have the BGE2 grip with two BP-511A batteries in. Mine always shows full charge properly.

Did you buy both batteries at the same time? Was one nearing the end of its life before you paired it with the other?

If one battery is slightly down then the good one will try to charge the poor one backwards. So even though you might have one fully charged new one, the old one would pull it down and appear to the camera as not fully charged.

As for mixing batteries, I'm not sure what the 514 is but as a rule ... It's generally a bad idea. They charge at different rates and discharg differently too. Some can supply higher peak current than others.

It would be like pulling a cart with two horses. A large shire horse and a race horse.

Always buy the same make/type at the same time and always use them as a set. Anything else will shorten the useable life of both.
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 7:40 AM   #5

Thanks Paul,

I am fully aware what RTFM is, my day job is Graphic Design and that phase is used a lot!!!

Thanks for the advice, I checked the batteries and they are both 511A's. Actually I rotated there position in the battery grip and I now get a full symbol on the LCD screen :?: Strange hey!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:01 PM   #6

grant.smith wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Paul,

I am fully aware what RTFM is, my day job is Graphic Design and that phase is used a lot!!!

Thanks for the advice, I checked the batteries and they are both 511A's. Actually I rotated there position in the battery grip and I now get a full symbol on the LCD screen :?: Strange hey!!!

Thanks to everyone who replied
I just got the grip and all i've currently got is a 511 and a 511A. First time I put them in (they were fully charged) i noticed the same thing... swapped position and then i got the full symbol... :?:

and then i read somewhere the it was more of a guesstimate..

kind of like when my wife ran out of gas and called me... i said you ran out of gas dear... and her reply was "it said i still had 33 miles left!"

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:23 PM   #7

:roll::-):-):lol::blah:That made my day! :-D

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
kind of like when my wife ran out of gas and called me... i said you ran out of gas dear... and her reply was "it said i still had 33 miles left!"
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote