Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 5, 2005, 10:49 AM   #1

One recurring issue I'm reading about the SLR digital cameras is dust on the sensor. How suseptable is the 20D to this?

I want to use the camera for travel and will change lenses in all conditions...

Darryl
dkimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:05 AM   #2

I have had my 10D for 6 months and I can see dust spots. But it only happens when I shoot with F16 or lower. I don't see them any regular apertures. Sensor dust is an issue for most of the dSLRs. Just be carefull when you change lenses.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3

I think the biggest problem with dust on the sensor comes from having to change lens in open enviroment. I read in a photo magazine that you can carry a king size pillow case to change lens in dirty enviroments. Pull the case over you and the camera and change the lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 6:30 PM   #4

Almost Gibson-

Pillow case = cloth
Cloth = lint + thread fibers

Plastic trash bag (new) might be better choice.

I've tried that out in dusty horse barns. Still carry my "visible dust" brush though.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 12:26 AM   #5

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
Almost Gibson-

Pillow case = cloth
Cloth = lint + thread fibers

Plastic trash bag (new) might be better choice.

I've tried that out in dusty horse barns. Still carry my "visible dust" brush though.
I agree that plastic would be much better for this?

Dang, what photo magazine said to use a pillowcase?? Let me guess - PCphoto or DigitalCamera (here in the states).
atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:03 AM   #6

Great improvement over the pillow case. I can use the 55 gal size.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:24 AM   #7

Just point your camera down when changing lenses and only change if absolutely necessary. It also doesn't hurt to turn your camera off so the sensor is not charged when changing. Remember too, you do have a mirror and shutter covering the sensor. It's not like it's just sticking out there for anything to fall on it. I've done nothing more than use a blow bulb a time or two on my Digital Rebel in the 13 months I've had that camera and I've not even checked my 10D yet in the few months I've had it. I've seen more pictures of nothing but blue skies shot at f16 or f22by people worrying over dust. Very few times do I shoot at those apertures, andI'm not that fond of pictures of nothing but blue skyso the liklihood that I will see those miniscule particles is very rare. The problem can be as big or as small as the user wants to make it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:58 AM   #8

Probably best to change the lens (if possible) in a class 1 clean-room hehehe
Actually...this was the reason why I didn't end up getting a digital SLR, although I have a film SLR. I just wanted to see if the digital camera companies can find a solution to deal with this dust problem thing for the digital SLR cameras.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:04 AM   #9

having done it in places and conditions most wouldn't want to go to. as was said camera face down and switch the lenses and don't do it in direct wind. now what most people do not take in account is the lens end caps and body caps. they just throw it in the bag and let it collect all it can in crud. then they happily throw it back on the lens and go their merry way. changing the lens later and possiblely introducing more contamination via this vector.

i have a giottos rocket blower and a damned expensive sensor brush set that seem to work for me without going to some extreme methodologies

sensor cleaning tips reference from canon:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/markII/mainpage.html#

view tutorial and go to sensor clean tips

sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2005, 11:09 AM   #10

:-)What goes round, comes round. May be time to dig out the old film changeing bag from the large format days. :-)

Is it not Olympus that has the ultrasonic sensor shaker to get dust off it?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote