Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 7, 2005, 10:11 AM   #1
Super Moderator

I've had the 20D for a couple of months now, andhavewondered whether the 20D was overkill for my photography - when would I ever need 5FPS for example? Mostly I just use if for snaps.

Well I found a use this Xmas; after all, not all snaps are created equal.
Attached Images

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:36 PM   #2

Yup, neat sequence! And exactly what the rapid frame rate is helpfull for.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 1:11 PM   #3

I thought 5fps seemed a little fast at first, but when I've done video before the difference between one frame and the next makes all the difference. That's with 25fps.

Lovely set of photos. You've caught the facial expression just right
Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 3:22 PM   #4

That is an absolute great sequence! Like the way you arranged them too! :G
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:00 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks for the kind comments.

I'm sure when she's older I'll suddently develop an interest in sport photography too, so the rapid fire will come in handy then also.

The best thing about digital photography is that this all becomes possible. I just made a large canvas and copied each photo in onto a seperate layer and added the comment. Ended up with a 150Mb photoshop file, so I could print a poster if I wanted to! For the moment though I've restrained myself to A4. :-)

Also - the camera helped in another way - I had the ISO set right up to 800, the available light wasn't very good. Photoshop cleaned up the modest noise that was there.

Technically there's nothing special about the photographs, but it's a composite I'll treasure for ever, and without the 20D it would just have been a memory that faded.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:05 AM   #6

I've found another use for 5fps, in jpeg mode -- showing off. I'd do that even better with a 1D II, etc. of course, but it's more than enough to make most other camera owners, esp. those with P&S digicams and kids, really envious.

Seriously though, I have found the 300D to be a bit too slow on occasion when shooting kids, etc., esp. so with normal/slow cards. Living with it is often not too hard, but if you have a 20D, you might as well enjoy that advantage while it lasts.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:36 PM   #7

Brilliant sequence! Just the kind of thing that I'm hoping to catch of my two year old daughter. So often with my compact I've missed the magic moment - cursed shutter lag. Hopefully shots like this will help to convince my wife that Daddy's new toy was worth the investment :-)
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:12 PM   #8

FUN and mass consumption of CF cards
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:12 AM   #9

Squonk wrote:
Quote:
Brilliant sequence! Just the kind of thing that I'm hoping to catch of my two year old daughter. So often with my compact I've missed the magic moment - cursed shutter lag. Hopefully shots like this will help to convince my wife that Daddy's new toy was worth the investment :-)
I created a slide show screen-saver out of my best pics for my wife. She really enjoys it, it gives her a chance to appreciate my "investment" every time she uses her computer.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote