Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:35 AM   #1

I know this is a can of worms but here goes!:-)

I am thinking about buying another zoom lens for my DRebel. What I am going to use it for is during little league baseball I want to go out to the center field fence and take shots of batters trying to hit the ball. The distance I will be shooting is 200 feet (I know that for a fact, when the field was rebuilt about 10 years ago I was one of the volunteers who did it) and the lens will be tripod mounted. I also want it to be a zoom lens to catch other action during the game. Cost is another thing I would like to keep it under $800 if possible. So the main question is what would you use and/or buy to do this?

by the way I was just kidding at the start, the people who respond to everyones questions posted at Steve's do a very good job at answering questions. It really is a great site to belong to.THANKS!!!!
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:52 AM   #2

I don't think you have much choice.

If the light is good enough, get the Sigma 50-500. That should have enough reach that you'll be able to frame your subject at that distance. But it's f6.3 @ 500, so you'll really need good light (or a high ISO) to stop the action.

I think that lens is around that price. It might be a touch more.

You could consider a zoom that ends at 400 (there are several of those) but most (all?) are way out of that price range. And I'm not sure that 400mm would be enough... truly, I've never shot kids at that distance to know. I would suggest trying it once with what you got and just do the math. The size of the subject is directly proportional to the focal length. If it's 1/4 of the frame at 200mm, it's 1/2 the frame at 400mm.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:14 PM   #3

Thanks Eric.

Right now I use a Sigma 70-300 zoom and love it. I get some great shots with it andcover the whole infield but I do know that it is not "long" enough to get the shots I am looking for. Right now I am leaning towards the Sigma 170-500 zoom. As for light you know what it is like in the spring in New England. Sunny one minute, so much fog the next you can't see your hand in front of your face.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:43 PM   #4

I hadn't seen you're from Down East. I go up there every summer (two weeks if I'm lucky) up near Columbia Falls. Ya, the light can be good or poor. And I won't mention fog after this past summer. 10 of 14 days with fog.

But back to the lenses.

The 170-500 isn't as good a lens as the 50-500. It also has a higher fstop (6.7), where the 50-500 is f6.3. Not much of a difference but take it when you can get it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote