Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 9, 2002, 9:18 PM   #1

Default Windows XP, Photoshop, and the Canon D60 TWAIN Driver

Has anyone else on the list had problems with importing images into the version of Photoshop (LE 5.0) that comes with the Canon D60? I'm running Windows 200 on my laptop and everything works perfectly. On my desktop machine running Windows XP, I can't import RAW files. It looks like the TWAIN driver that comes with the D60 does not work under XP.

Does anyone know of a contact I can reach at Canon to help me?

Thanks,
Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2

Welcome to Windows ME/XP.

What you need is the WIA driver for the D30/D60. You are correct. Twain is for Windows 98/98/SE. It will also work with Windows 2000.

Photoshop 5.0/5.5/6.0 are not Windows XP compatible. Photoshop 6.0 will run under Windows XP, but it is flakey at times. Photoshop 7 is Adobe's XP compatible release.

Mitch
gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 7:35 AM   #3

Ugh. Thanks. So if I want to use my D60 and Photoshop on XP, I have to go spend $500 on 7.0 because the upgrade packages don't work with LE. (sigh) Lovely. Is this also the case with the Nikon D100 included software? This would *definately* have been a swaying factor for me in my decision between the D60 and the D100. I had no idea that using the D60 would require me to either revert back to Windows 2000 (I've been using XP since the first beta came out over a year ago) or spend $500 more dollars upgrading software that was supposed to come with the camera.

By the way, it looks like the Canon Zoom Browser EX software that comes with the camera works fine under WinXP. Worst case, I can download the RAW images with ZBEX, comvert them to high quality jpegs, and then edit them with Photoshop.

Norm
Old Nov 10, 2002, 2:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm911
I had no idea that using the D60 would require me to either revert back to Windows 2000 (I've been using XP since the first beta came out over a year ago) or spend $500 more dollars upgrading software that was supposed to come with the camera.

By the way, it looks like the Canon Zoom Browser EX software that comes with the camera works fine under WinXP. Worst case, I can download the RAW images with ZBEX, comvert them to high quality jpegs, and then edit them with Photoshop.

Norm
It is not just an issue of getting the Canon RAW images converted to TIFFs. You're right. You can do that outside of Photoshop.

Photoshop 5.5 and 6 were released before Windows XP. They, therefore, were not designed to be Windows XP compatible.

I have found that Photoshop 6 will install and run under Windows XP but it is definitely flakey. If you want to use XP, you should upgrade to Photoshop 7. Moreover, Photoshop 7 has lots of features that are really essentiaql if you're serious about editing photos on the PC.

You can try Photoshop Essentials, if you do not want to pay for the upgrade. I believe you can also buy the upgrade to 7 with the Photoshop 5.5 LE. The upgrade will cost you about $180.

I think you expect too much, if you think Canon should provide you with the latest release of Photoshop 7. It's reasonable to expect software to get your photos off the camera, but from there, it's up to you to come up with a package you prefer. Many like Photoshop. Some like Corel. There are other favorites, too.

My guess is Adobe provides the Photoshop LE disk to Canon for very little. It comes without support, so the real cost to Adobe is very little, and it encourages you to buy Photoshop rather than a competetive product.

I sure don't want to pay extra for the Canon D60, just because they bundle the latest release of Photoshop. Many of us upgraded long before the D60 hit the streets in large numbers.

Cheers,

Mitch
Old Nov 10, 2002, 8:06 PM   #5

Mitch,

Thanks for the reply, and good points. As far as what I expect Canon to provide me, here it is in a nutshell: I expect Canon to bundle software that runs on modern operating systems, not on operating systems that are 4 years old. If they want to include Photoshop, fine, include a version that will run on Mac OS 9 and X, and Windows 2000 AND XP. If not, then don't include Photoshop. Excluding currently shipping production versions of the worlds most common operating systems is ridiculous. As you mentioned, there are plenty of Photoshop alternatives that support XP and I'm sure those vendors would have negotiated aggressively to have their software bundled by Canon. Much more aggressively than Adobe, I'd suspect.

Don't get me wrong here. I love the camera, and understand the financial implications of including Photoshop 7 completely. My point is that they made a calculated decision to not provide a well coordinated suite of software to the consumer. That pisses me off I'm with you though - we paid enough for the D60 as it is, and I wouldn't be happy paying more to have Photoshop 7 included.

Norm
Old Nov 11, 2002, 6:32 PM   #6

Your point about providing image editing software that's compatible with current Windows OSs is well-taken.

I was surprised that the D60 ships with PS 5.5 LE. I would have expected something like PS 7 LE (if there even is an LE version of PS 7).

Cheers,

Mitch
Old Nov 11, 2002, 8:13 PM   #7

Turns out that there's no Photoshop 7.0 LE. But, I did find a way to get around this minor setback. I called the helpdesk at work and told them I needed Photoshop 7.0 I'll have it Friday.

Thanks for the chat, I enjoyed it.

Norm