Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

I would like to download the firmware that makes a Rebel operate like a 10D but can't find the link. Can anyone help
Thanks
TParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:03 PM   #2

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html

Try this link but bear in mind that this will invalidate your warranty.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 5:49 PM   #3

While that may be technically true, there have been reports of 300D's being sent into service with the hacked firmware and the Canon staff not even remarking about it, and not even reloading the official firmware. I wouldn't be surprised if they did the latter in some cases.

Of course, if I had a service issue, and the camera was still able to load firmware, I would re-load the old firmware before sending it in. But the warranty's not that long, and surely mine's already expired. Not sure if I'd bother to switch now. Probably would just to see if it made a difference ifIhad a problem.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:27 AM   #4

Can anybody help the rookie I am what are the benefits when you flash your Digital Rebel with firmware EOS10D ?

more functions ?

more what ??? :?

Thanks

jacocorico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:27 AM   #5
NHL

jacocorico wrote:
Quote:
Can anybody help the rookie I am what are the benefits when you flash your Digital Rebel with firmware EOS10D ?

more functions ?

more what ??? :?
This only applies to folks having the DRebel and the 420EX external flash combination

1. The 420EX is an automatic flash only -> you have no manual overide on the flash
2. The DRebel have no flash exposure compensation (FEC) adjustment as shipped so if you run into under/over exposure problem with flash you can't compensate for it (unless you meter the flash correctly in the 1st place), like the 10D, 20D or other bodies...
3. There's also no 2nd curtain flash sync, the 'hack' firmware also allow you do that as well.

The other option is to get the 550EX (or other brands like Metz or Sigma) theses flashes will provide the manual overide functions that are absent from the DRebel... Of course you have to pay for the flash whereas the firmware hack is 'free'.

This why some folks opt for the Sigma EF500DG Super - This flash costs the same as the 420EX, but has almost the power of the 550EX along with all its manual overide modes plus more, like flash bracketing which one can't get with the 420EX either. The Sigma can also act as a Master, whereas the 420EX is a slave only device!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 9:09 AM   #6

I think jaco was referring not only to the flash benefits, but what happens when you flash the firmware (as a verb).

The firmware hack provides the following:
Flash Exposure Compensation (as NHL detailed... but I believe FEC would also affect the onboard flash??)

Mirror Lockup (ability for the camera to lock up the mirror prior to opening the shutter... prevents "mirror shake" when taking long exposure shots)

ISO 3200 (labeled "h" in the viewfinder)

Ability to customize some buttons (like what the "menu" button does when not in playback mode)

Second-Curtain flash sync
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote