Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 13, 2005, 12:58 PM   #1

Does anyone here have any experience with mirror lenses and the digirebel?

I know it will be manuel focus only and that is how I shoot most of my outdoor shots

anyway. The question is will it work on the camera with the t-mount without doing any damage to the camera? Also does anyone have any experience with different brands as to which is the best quality and has the sharpest focus.

Genohc

PS will the cameras auto exposure features work with such a lens?
genohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 1:18 PM   #2

If you have access to a library I recall an article within the last year in Popular Photography that was about mirror lenses.

They liked some of the russian made ones, but I don't recall which they liked better.

I'm fairly sure you can get a mirror lens that will directly connect to the DRebel. I don't know if they are "future proof" though. Canon doesn't seem to license their lens mount, so I know that Sigma often has to have their lenses "re-chiped" (their term) so that it will work with newer cameras. I don't know if the mirror lens (which is such a manual lens) will have similar problems.

BTW, there are Auto-Focus mirror lenses!

I don't see why a t-mount would risk hurting the camera. If its made to work with EOS lens mounts I would think it would work just fine.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 2:41 PM   #3

genohc wrote:
Quote:

My understanding of mirror lenses is that they have a fixed aperture, so you can't adjust it manually or automatically.

perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2005, 3:01 PM   #4

Most mirror lenses come in one of 2 flavors, fixed aperture F8, and more expensive fixed aperture F5.6.

The dRebel would not autofocus with the more common add less expensive F8 even if it had autofocus capability.:sad:

A drawback and a quick identification of an image taken with a mirror lens is the donuts (every specular highlight is turned into alittle donut shaped ring.)

The T-Mount would nothurt the dRebel in itself, but picking thecamera up by its body might causedamage from the weight of the lens on the cameras polycarbonate mount.Handle it by the lens, and use a tripod collar on the lens, everything should be fine.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 10:07 PM   #5

genohc wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone here have any experience with mirror lenses and the digirebel?

I know it will be manuel focus only and that is how I shoot most of my outdoor shots

anyway. The question is will it work on the camera with the t-mount without doing any damage to the camera? Also does anyone have any experience with different brands as to which is the best quality and has the sharpest focus.

Genohc

I can offer answers only based on my Sigma 600 f/8 mirror. You are correct that you only have manual focus and that requires some practice due to little depth of field and a steep thread on the mount. The exposure works well on Av and M modes. The mount should have no compatibility problems and will not require 'rechipping' since there is no chip used in a Manual only lens.

The degree of 'rings' shown will vary greatly (!!) according to the amount of specular highlights and the degree they are out of focus. I'll offer links to two samples; one showing a considerable 'problem' and one not.

http://home.comcast.net/~dougsmit/siggold6351sm.jpg not bad rings

http://home.comcast.net/~dougsmit/sigchimp6898sm.jpgbad rings

My apologies go to regular readers who have seen these samples before but the question keeps coming up. My answer is that the lens offers an option to those who can't afford a 'real' Canon 600 f/4L or whose strength would not allow carrying so huge a glass. The image quality is not as good and using it requires some practice. Whether it is worth the compromises is a matter of personal opinion. I have no experience with other brands of mirrors.
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 10:48 AM   #6

Mirror telephoto lens are very cheap, but the way that they capture the image creates extremely bad circular bokeh. As demostrated above. They're basically poor man's telephotos.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote