Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 15, 2005, 10:39 AM   #1

Hello everyone.

I've been working with the Canon SDK to produce a remote capture application for various purposes. I own a canon powershot camera, which has been tested and works perfectly with this tool. I also just added support for Canon DSLR cameras, but unfortunately I don't own or have access to a Canon DSLR to test if it works correctly. If anyone here would be interested and kind enough to help me test out my tool, I would appreciate it. Listed below are the only Canon DSLR cameras supported.

EOS-1D
EOS-1Ds
EOS D30
EOS D60
EOS 10D
EOS Kiss Digital
EOS Digital Rebel
EOS 300D
EOS-1D Mark II

Current Beta Version: Remote Capture Beta v1.1c
Remote Capture Information

All I need to know is if all the features work correctly. So for example, check if going from ISO 400 to 800 actually works. You would be able to tell by either hearing the mechanized components within the camera or the viewfinder showing up brighter. It's also important that I have the "bulb" feature work correctly. Since there is no documentation on that feature, I'm curious as to how it works. Does the DSLR Remote Capture tool from Canon support that feature? If so, how do you work it?

Thanks.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:24 AM   #2

Hi TheGhost.

Just wondering does your utility add anything that Canon Capture (which also allows full control and remote capture) does not do? I have used the Canon Capture with my 20D and it seems to work flawlessly, full control of the camera and images are transfered into the computer for viewing editing as they are taken. Canon Capture comes bundled with the newer canon DSLR's.

I'd give yours a try but you don't list the 20D as a supported camera yet. :-)

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:04 PM   #3

I just found out the 20D is supported in the newest SDK, released about 3 weeks ago. I had to re-register with Canon in order to get it, but I should have that brand supported soon.

I haven't seen Canon's DSLR remote capture tool, but "Remote Capture" differs from the Canon Powershot capture tool in that everything is provided to you on one window. The one Canon provides has the viewfinder in one tab and camera options (such as ISO, metering, etc…) on another. I personally disliked having to go back and forth like that, although it is not the sole reason for my program. I'm also working on adding features to assist in capturing photos. For example, right now you can use additive framing on the viewfinder to sum up the video feed to brighten dark objects (prior to actually taking the photo). It helps assist astrophotographers in finding and knowingly take good pictures of deep space objects. I have plans to further enhance the tool for use in astrophotography once the weather gets better up here and I can test them. Features for other shooting styles, such as "stitching" for panoramic views, will also be supported down the road.

Since DSLR cameras are more sophisticated than candid cameras, I'm not sure if every feature will be present; however all the necessary features required for taking a decent photo will be present. The "bulb" feature is one I'm most interested in understanding with remote capturing. Unfortunately the manual I got for it is in Japanese.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:08 PM   #4

The Canon remote capture for my 20D doesn't allow bulb. It will only goto 30 second exposure.

Does your Beta do anything at all with the 20D?

I tried it anyway but it doesn't see my camera at all. All the setting boxes on the left are blank.

Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2005, 1:30 PM   #5

Currently there's no support for the 20D since I'm on the older software provided by Canon. I just registered with them to get the latest version, but it may take a while since they have to verify my registration.

Interesting to see the 20D's popularity.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 2:12 PM   #6

Astrophotography is what I am interested in. I've been waiting now almost 2 months for aEF-t2 mount adapter. Back-ordered for some reason with the maker.

20D seems to be exceedingly popular here, the vendors are still having trouble keeping them in stock, even after the christmas rush they seem to sell out almost as fast at they are brought in.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 10:04 PM   #7

I would like to announce that the beta should now support the following EOS cameras in addition to the ones already listed:

EOS 1Ds Mark II
EOS 20D

The original download link has already been updated with the newer version, so no new download link is necessary. Again, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to test this out for me.

Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:10 AM   #8

The one thing that the EOS capture program lacks is support for Mirror Lockup. If you are supporting Astrophotography, This is a must. Do you support this at present?

David
dcl2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 9:19 AM   #9

Yes that would be interesting, with the manual remote cord I have mirror lockup is done by turning the Mirror lockup Custom Function=on and pressing the shutter release twice.

First press the mirror goes up, second press the shutter activates.

I'll download and give theprogram a try this weekend when I get back home from this road trip. Just love management dog&pony shows :?

Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:04 AM   #10

Dcl2q, yes. Right now Mirror Lockup along with a dozen other DSLR custom features are supported, but I have not yet implemented them in the interface. This beta is primarily used to determine if my Canon SDK interface is functioning properly for DSLR cameras.