Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:17 PM   #1

These are not mine (I wish I could do as well!).

Website with incredible astrophotography images done with the 10D/20D and various EF lenses and telescopes. Scroll down to the eos 10d/20d section.

http://www.schweifstern.de/astroimages.htm
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:20 PM   #2

Very nice images.

I tried mounting the 20D body on a MeadeETX 90 using a Canon EOS T-mount and a Meade #64 adaptor (about 2" long piece) and the aperture value on the camera showed only "00" in the display. Needless to say, it did not work. Could not even get a shot of the lunar surface, let alone galaxies. And yes, the scope was switched to the rear eye piece using the above mentioned accessories.

Am I doing something wrong here :?

Appreciate any help this forum can offer.
pascal03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 12:54 PM   #3

Ignore the aperture, it is fixed to whatever the scope is, I believe the meade ETX are about f/10. :-). It is not too important in astro-photography though the faster the scope the shorter the exposure time needed. I use a 205mm(8inch) F/5 newtonian on a GEM mount.

Just attach the camera, align the mount to track properly and hold the shutter open, many times. Also take an appropriate length dark-frame same length as your real exposures so the stacking program can use it to subtract noise.

As this fellow in the link did, the images are stacks of many 5 minute or 2 minute exposures to get up to the total exposure times that were 60-100minutes.

Fortunately there are many good stacking programs and a lot of them are free like registax and not so free like astrostax

Besides the very long tracked & guided exposures, focusing is actually quite difficult.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote