Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:41 PM   #1

I'm about to purchase a 20d with the 50mm 1.4, 100mm macro and the L 100-400 but...haven't seen this in any of the online literature I've read about the body and since this is my first dSLR.....can the large rear monitor be used to compose shots or is it only for playback, menus etc? I've gotten spoiled with my Sony F-707 where I can rotate the body and lens to compose while looking down. I have rarely used the eye viewfinder but know I really should and will with the 20d but sometimes when you are down on the ground for that "perfect" macro shot, would be somewhat easier if you can compose in the monitor. Man, what a run-on sentence that was

:?:?:?:?

Thanks, TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:51 PM   #2

On a DSLR the lcd is only for playback.

While the mirror and shutter are in the way there is no way for the sensor to get a signal. :-)

You can get a right angle adapter for the viewfinder. But it seems to run around 200$cdn.

Did you mean the 50 1.4 or the 50 1.8, the 1.8 is the very inexpensive one?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 10:46 PM   #3

PeterP, yes I meant the 1.4 very expensive one but may rethink that and go for the very inexpensive 1.8

Thanks for the info: I figured as such but with modern day stuff one never knows. I'm still spoiled with the Sony where I can rotate the body/lens and look down to compose! Just got my fiancee the KM A2 and the LCD on that one swivels out for viewing as does the eye viewfinder....when one is down on the ground with bugs, mushrooms etc just makes it easier.

Like your avatar, I too am a kayaker

TG
Old Jan 28, 2005, 11:26 AM   #4

As stated the LCD is for playback only

on the 50mm the 1.8 is great for image quality but not made of the same high quality materials as the 1.4, i can see from the list of lens you are looking at good glass I would recommend the 1.4 over the 1.8 (note the 1.8 does not have a distance focusing ring so manually setting the focus distant is difficult when not using the view finder)

also remember the crop factor in your lens selection.

50 = 80

100 = 160

last the 85 1.8 USM is a great lens and has USM

Good luck you will have a great setup
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:52 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your comments. The Canon gear arrived from B&H a couple days ago and I did go for the 1.4 50mm. also got the 100mm macro and the 100-400 L IS. It goes without saying the 20D arrived as well. Got the battery grip and a remote cord.

For printing I recieved the Epson 2200 and for storage a 2 gig CF II card and Transcend Digital Album.

I've been busily getting the feel of the Canon stuff and it feels great to have an SLR in my hands again. For the past couple of years I've shot with a Sony 707 and it's a great camera for what it was designed for but not an SLR.

:|

Now I have to get out my almost 20 year old Minolta X-700 gear and see what it's worth.

Just for grins here's the first natural light shot with the 20D and the 50mm; it's of my second camera a Foldex 20. My first was a Brownie Hawkeye.

TG

Attached Images