Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 21, 2005, 8:34 AM   #11

Madwand, my understanding is that Canon helps underright some of the advertising on the larger stores... if you stick to their suggested price. In other words, its a form of price fixing. They don't want a price war on their equipment so they give a kickback to the store to keep the price high.

At least, this was how it was described to me by someone at one of the larger camera stores about the 10D.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 12:48 PM   #12

Eric, I'm sure you're right. I have heard that as well. In addition, what I said above was told to me by a saleman at one of the stores referenced above. We know from experience that salemen cannot be trusted, so my comments should be taken with a bigger grain of salt than yours. However, the net effect is the same -- fixed prices with little or no competition in the advertised prices among these stores.

Aden is another sizeable vendor in Toronto. Perhaps they can give you a better deal. Be warned however, that the benefit of dealing with larger companies like Vistek and Henry's are often large -- the ability to return the item for full refund if not satisfactory. Check the details at the time of a purchase. If there is doubt about what the salepeople are saying, get it in writing.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:00 PM   #13

Yes, I used to visit Aden until they opened a second store around the corner and the prices did not match from one to the other :blah:. They also have one of the fastest 1 hour - E6 processing to be found in Toronto.

Surprisingly Aden lists the 20D at 1999.99$cdn :lol:, but they claim you are saving 200$ over the list price.:blah::blah::blah:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 5:52 PM   #14

I didn't mean that Aden would have a better price, I meant that they might have a better price. And they wouldn't advertise a lower price for the reasons above.

To tell you the truth, I regret that I even said that much about Aden.I certainly wouldn't recommend them. You can see some negative experience comments about them from online searches.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:21 PM   #15

I am Canadian and I got my 20D when in California in December on a business trip. I ended up saving $300 after getting it across the border (if you know what I mean).

So it ended up costing me $2000 with the 18-55 kit lens and bag. Here, it would have cost me the same but with an additional 15% tax.

Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 5:49 PM   #16

Jasper666 that is great! But check your warranty, I suspect itmay notbe honored by Canon Canada if you need service. Makes no difference if you visit the US a lot though :-).

Look forward to see some images from it :-)
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:30 PM   #17

Yeah, I was concerned about that. I'll have to look, but the guy at the camera shop was pretty sure it would be fine. I could always send it back to the U.S. for repair. I just got a the 28-135 lens from the U.S. and it has both the U.S. warranty and on the other side there is an international/Canon Canada warranty.
Jasper666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 1:01 PM   #18

DSLR's have very tight international warranty restrictions; presumably because they're harder to service and there isn't a surplus of qualified techs for them yet.As an illustration, a warranty for a Canon film camera bought in Germany might be honoured in France, while a warranty for a Canon DSLR might not be -- I've heard of such cases; I don't recall the countries involved.

Canada / US have a "special relationship", so there's a good chance for the DSLR warranties being honoured across the border. However, Canadian distributers are often very protective of their market, it being smaller, etc., and so there is still a fairly good chance that a Canadian branch would not want to service a product that was bought in the US, particularly when DSLR techs are not cheap/plentiful.

Enough speculation. A couple of phone calls should, for now, answer the question fully. Someone should do that and let us all know...