Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:16 AM   #1

Does anyone know the difference between the USA and Canadian versions of the Canon 20d? If so, could you please explain? There seems to be quite a price difference.
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:29 AM   #2

As far as I know there is no difference in the models sold in Canda and the US. What is the price difference.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:47 AM   #3

I paid 1800$cdn for mine (not including all the addons I got with it, and the government 15% ripoff tax they add at the end in Ontario).

Remember the US $ to CAN $ conversion rate, it would drop price that by about a1/4 :?putting it into the 1300$-1400$ US range.

Functionally there is no difference in the actual camera.

I must add I got mine on a corporate discount, it normally sells for 2000$can which converted to US would be about 1500$us

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:09 AM   #4

I found 1 vender advertising the camera for $805+ shipping [body only]. I don't know whether this vender is reliable. If anyone has any info on this, please advise. The website is:

http://store.tcscamera.com/caeos2082mel.html

-jeff
Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:22 AM   #5

The price is in the too low to believe category~50% normal retail.

Look at some of the experiences people have had with this "company" http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9193.html

Camera bodies and lenses are a couple of things I refuse to buy over the web. I want to go and handle them in person and take the one I tried out home :-)That way I know what I got, and I know it has a full local warranty, comes with all the factory included items (batteries, charger, software)and is not gray market. But that is just me:lol:.
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:04 AM   #6

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9193.html

They're another one of those Bait n Swap places, scammers. And from the look of it seems like a brand new one ( or the same one with a new name )

one of the comments about them:

Quote:
1/17/05 12:52 PM
I just called this alleged company a few minutes ago.... Got the run around trying to get info on the Canon 20D. When I was finally connected to someone who handled this camera, he immediately asked which lens I'd like to go with it. I stated that I only wanted the body... He then said that the body was not available. I asked if they would be getting more in and when. His response was NO. No more 20d bodies coming in. I was left with the impression that if I wanted to buy 5 lenses at inflated prices, then the 20d body would magically appear. Beware this seemingly fraudulent store.... Sounds like the bait and switch is alive and well....
Quote:
1/14/05 11:00 AM
Worst online shoping experience ever! Maybe I have been lucky in the past, but with this last attempted purchase, my luck ran out! I had ordered the nikkon coolpix 8700, they had a great price, but had none in stock. I had to find this out on my own. After ten days I had not received any form of order confirmation. I called their 800 number, and was given the run around four different times. I was told to call back in the morning first. So, on day 11 I called back in the morning. I was then told to call back in a half hour (10:30 am) I did so, and the extension I was given to call back was not valid. So, I went back throught the operator, and spoke to someone, who told me they would get right back to me as soon as they found out if my order had shipped out. He said it would be about 10 min. After 1.5 hours, I called them back. The extension I was given this time worked, but there was no answer, so I left a message. about 30 min later I was called back to be informed that my item was out of stock, but they had a diffent version of the 8700 for only $250 more! I tried to cancel my order, but they would not listen, all the guy on the phone could tell me was that it was such a great deal, and would be sorry if I passed it up. I was able to cancel after asking about a dozen times. Bait and switch! This company is bogus!
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 11:14 AM   #7

Thanks to everyone for helping me avoid a potentially serious mistake. I guess there's no free lunch!

- Jeff
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:18 PM   #8

I see a slight difference in advertised prices -- $1878 CAD at Adorama vs. $2000 CAD at Vistek based on a current exchange rate of $1.2525 CAD per USD.

This difference is small enough for me to prefer the local shopping experience.

But if you count the rebates, and assuming that the US rebates are both better and available for non-US purchasers of US sales, then the US purchase might have an advantage.

Most of the time, I've made the comparison and decided to go local -- for the support, etc., faster service (sometimes), no hassle with Customs, etc.

You wouldn't avoid GST, because Customs would charge you for that. There would also be shipping and customs broker fees to add to that.

The only differences that I can see are that the Canadian version is probably labelled slightly differently (showing that it meets any Canadian-specific standards necessary), and includes French language manuals. The Customs inspectors sometimes check the lables on products for Canadian markings -- this helps them determine whether or not a product was purchased by a traveller in the US (who's trying to cross the border without paying duties/etc), or was purchased in Canada. I'm not sure that the markings are different in this case, or that they'd bother with a camera at all, but this does apply in some cases.

But I did buy a Nikon scanner through Adorama, and for whatever reason, it was both available quicker than it was in Canada, and also at a significantly lower price.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 2:35 PM   #9

The BIG three stores I tend to visit in Toronto:, Vistek, Henrys, and Downtown Camera all list the 20D for 1999.99$cdn.

For now Downtown Camera is giving a "free" 18-55 lens when you purchase the body for that price.:blah:
Old Jan 20, 2005, 7:37 PM   #10

That's always going to be the case for advertised Canon gear here at least -- there's an unwritten rule that if a store break this price-setting, that they might not be able to get fresh supplies (as quickly..). So the game then is to throw in unadvertised "freebies" -- ideally, you should be able to negotiate some of this part.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote