Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 25, 2005, 7:49 PM   #11

Thanks Golfer. Just very glad that you picked up on this for me. Last thing I was expecting to hear about after posting a message about the language of the manual :-) Very appreciative!
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 8:49 PM   #12

See the storage forum here, and Rob Galbraith's,for more detailed information.

The Hitachi information, from my quick review, does not seem to be inaccurate -- I would interpret their remarks to be fairly referencing other microdrives, and in my experience, they are ahead of the competition. I've had a lot of success with my Hitachi 4GB microdrive, for which I paid $230 USD when that would have bought you maybe a slower 1GB flash card, and I've also found it to be better than a more recent 5GB Seagate microdrive. (Also mentioned further here and in photo.net). I've also found that I've had good use for its capacity -- I would almost fill it with RAW-only files each day on my last vacation.

There's a recent thread in photo.net wheresomesay that it's a waste to get a fast card (note that the Hitachi microdrives are counter-intuitively fast compared to standard speed CF, though not the fastest these days) in a camera like the 20D, unless you're filling the write buffer. In the 20D, that buffer is large for JPEGs and 6 frames for RAW. It's also 6 frames for RAW + JPEG large fine.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=00AqP4

That buffer size is fine for most shooting. Typically you'll shoot oneto three frames, and while you're composing the next frame, those frames will be written out. Getting the most capacity upto your usage limit for the dollar makes sense from this perspective. The 4GB microdrive is still ahead in this view, assuming that you use the capacity at least sometimes.

Many people prefer instead to have a number of smaller drives. Their rationale is that if they lose one drive due to data (read camera / software bugs) or physical problems (it happens more frequently than anyone would like -- some CF vendors include image recovery software with their cards; count on it happening to you some day), then at least they haven't lost everything from that shoot. I don't disagree with this perspective. However, I also note that juggling many cards in itself increases the chance for errors, and that for many failures, esp. the data ones, recovery software often work.But pros should both be more careful and have redundant tools on site when the shoot is too important to risk on a single CF card, battery, camera etc., etc. Consider these and perhaps other points, and make your decision for yourself on this.

One option I suggest is to get a small card (say 256 MB standard speed) -- ideally something that few people want -- and see if the vendor will throw it in for "free". If so, use that to judge your needs for speed and capacity, and then get a more appropriate card, and havetheold oneas a backup should the primary card fail.

It can be frustrating to wait for the camera to catch up if you've filled the buffer. Shooting RAW + JPEG large fine will tax the write speed -- it's a lot of data to write. A fast card might be helpful here, but it also might be superflous as some say. Nobody can judge your shooting and speed requirements better than you can.

BTW, I paid around $150 CAD for a 1GB Sandisk Extreme II tosubstitute for the Seagate after I had a data loss problem with the Seagate. I still use the Hitachi 4GB in my primary digital camera.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:45 PM   #13

I've had 2 cf cards go bad on me in the past 3 years. Most cary a lifetime replacement, so I had each replaced free. I have two 512's, two 256's and three 128's not to mention the 32's that came with my cameras. Amazon has some great deals on the Viking CF Card's--good rebates You'll need to add to shoping cart to see the rebate amount, and don't forget to print out rebate form. Example---128 CF Card by Viking cost me $3.00 after rebate, and this was with amazon. (No Tax and free shipping on purchase total of $25 or more) But point I'd like to make is, if you use more cards (which are easy to change) for your pics, and one goes bad, you'll still have the rest of your pic's on the other cards. This holds true when taking a lot of pic's, such as like on a vacation:-)
HeidiandHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:27 PM   #14

Again thank you for your valuable experience and comments. I've managed to get a price I'm happy with for a 1GB 80x Lexar CF card - I think I'm going to go with that for a start. I suppose that on an "average" day out at the moment with my compact digicam I'm taking maybe 30 or 40 photos. It certainly does go above that at times, but I think that 1GB should be enough to get me started. I'm sure that once I start playing around with continuous shooting that figure will shoot up and I'll want to invest in something larger - but that can wait until after the initial outlay for the camera.

I typically take my laptop away with me when on vacation, primarily to store and view photos at the end of each day. I also write the images out to CD just in case the laptop is stolen or damaged. The CD then goes in my photo bag to minimise the chance of loss to both "archives" at the same time.

But even with those precautions then of course there is still the possibility of a card error. I have to say that I have yet to experience this - maybe I've just been lucky.

I just hope that after all of this I manage to take some photographs worthy of sharing with you all. I'm sure I'll be keeping an eye on these forums meanwhile to pick up tips.

Thank you to everybody who has contributed to this thread!
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote