Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:30 PM   #1

After 3 years using digital compact cameras (all purchases heavily influenced by this web site), and many years before that using various film SLRs I've decided that it's time to invest in a digital SLR. My budget and my previous experience of Canon SLRs (and existing EF lens collection) is pointing me towards the 20D.

I've been looking around for the best deal on a 20D and a 2GB microdrive and at the moment it seems to be hard to beat Pixmania.com.

I noticed that their product description shows that I would get a French language manual if I bought it from them. I would imagine that I would also have a charger with a French plug on the end too. The plug is easy to get around - I would think I could just chop it off and put a UK plug on it, or maybe use an adapter.

The manual is a bit more problematic. I do feel that I would need a manual that I could understand for a camera with this many features. Now my French is at a level where I don't think that I would starve to death in Paris, but I don't think it would be up to scratch for a technical document. I've checked out Canon's website hoping to see a downloadable PDF manual and can't find one. I was just wondering whether there might be a chance of there being an English manual on the CD that comes with the camera?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:42 PM   #2

Beware!

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4577.html

Sorry, I don't know of any places to buy in the UK. Maybe someone else can help with that.

mactek
mactek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:06 PM   #3

Don't worry -- Canon makes their manuals downloadable online. The way to get there is to browse for the camera, then select "Download library" from the page toolbar, and go on.

I'll postlink, but due to their complexity, they are likely to be changed in the future. The sort of navigation I suggest above should get you to the documents. At worst, they'd be a Support contact away.

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=10464

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...;modelid=10464

The adapter that came with mine (in North America) was a travel one -- 100-200 V 50/60 Hz, with a flip out plug -- no cord. One I had previously (300D) came with a detachable cord. A plug adapter work in any case.

No comment on that vendor.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:18 AM   #4

Many thanks for your comments! I was "recommended" to Pixmania by a friend, having read your comments I've done a bit of further reading and looked around elsewhere. I've managed to get a good deal quoted to me by one of the suppliers we use at work, more costly than Pixmania, but the difference is such that I would rather pay the extra to avoid any possible problems.

And thanks for the links. Hopefully if I order elsewhere then I should get a UK manual anyway, but maybe I can have a read before purchase and whilst awaiting delivery :G

Old Jan 25, 2005, 9:08 AM   #5

I might learn something here, but was wondering why you would use a 2 gig micro drive when you can get a 2 gig card with no mechanical disadvantages? Seems like the card would be a much better investment.:idea:
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:46 PM   #6

Golfer wrote:
Quote:
I might learn something here, but was wondering why you would use a 2 gig micro drive when you can get a 2 gig card with no mechanical disadvantages? Seems like the card would be a much better investment.:idea:
I would skip on the micro drive for sure. Check out some comparisons and you will see why.
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:23 PM   #7

Humm, looks like I'm a little out of date with CF media. I saw your posts and hurried off to have a look at some comparisons. Thanks for pointing this out to me - I'll have to have a rethink. I can say that I have got a really very good price for that 2GB microdrive, but I guess that I might be able to get a smaller capacity CF card for around the same price? I just honestlty hadn't realised that CF technology had moved on so much - my decision to go for a microdrive was probably based on reading done a couple of years ago. Looking at Rob Galbraith's site at the moment and then I'll have to go have a recount of the pennies!

I do know that I will want to shoot in raw, and raw + jpg would be nice - which is what, about 12MB storage per shot total?

So, any recommendations for a CF card to match the camera, but not break the bank?

Many thanks for pointing this out to me!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:36 PM   #8

I just checked local Canadian prices and I can get a

Lexar Compact Flash Pro (80x) 2GB w/ Write Acceleration for 219$cdn,
a Hitachi 2GB Microdrive is also listing at 219.99$cdn.
So price wise they are same-same. :-)

I don't know if reliability has improved any, but the 1gb's Microdirves we used to use had a high failure rate.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 3:48 PM   #9

Yeah, it seems that the speed on the CF cards has come on one heck of a way. I'm afraid that from my previous experiences with them (2 years ago or more) I'd basically written them off as slow and nasty - hehe, just goes to show!

The price I managed to negotiate on the microdrive was basically 50% of normal retail - that combined with the capacity had me hooked on the idea. I'll have to see if I can get a similar deal on CF media.

Now, continuous shooting speed isn't one of the key factors to me in going for the 20D, but having said that then it does seem silly to spend this on a camera and then nerf it with the memory card.

I guess I can always get a 1GB CF (have to look at prices yet) with the camera and then add to that later.

Just glad that I'm not rushing into ordering this thing. I'm going to take a good couple of weeks more mulling it all over I think.

(later) yes, looks like I could get one of those Lexar 80x 1GB cards for about the same price as the 2GB microdrive - this is before I've done any "negotiating". Would frankly be amazed if they could drop the price as dramatically as they could for the microdrive - still, if you don't ask...!

So at 12MB per shot I should be able to get around 80 shots onto a 1GB card (give or take for formatting). That should do me fine.

So, these quoted 33MB/s speeds I'm seeing for the microdrives (and 7MB/s sustained) are just that, *quoted* speeds as in "lies, damned lies and statistics"? Quote from Hitachi blurb :-

"With a maximum sustained data rate of over 7MB/sec, Hitachis 2GB Microdrive is the fastest product of its kind."

and

"2 GB CF+ Hard Drive
3600 rpm Spin Speed 12 ms Ave Seek Time
PC Compatible
33 MBps Data Transfer Rate"
Old Jan 25, 2005, 6:38 PM   #10

Squonk, In my unqualified opinion, you will be backing up 2-3 years if you saddle you Canon with a micro drive. The CF card is the only way to go. I Just read that the Canon does best cards up to 2G. I use 1 gig cards and believe you may get more like 100 shots on a card. Someone else can help here perhaps.

You will enjoy the camera. Best wishes.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote