Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 26, 2005, 5:26 AM   #1

I am going to buy a Canon 20D, the problem is that I am in Japan. I can go down to Bic Camera and get the camera with the 17-85 IS USM for 257000 (about $2500) or I can order on line for about $2000.
Is there any difference between the Japanese version and the American versions of the camera? Is the Japanese version $500 better?
Do I really need the 17-85mm lens? I am learning photography and I want a lens that will be good in many shooting situations. I want a good quality lens which will be durable and flexible with lighting and different situations (inside shooting and outside). Maybe I should get a 50mm and a small zoom? Any help would be much appreciated.
kalal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2005, 8:13 AM   #2

As far as I no, there is no difference at all. But I bet you won't get a US English version of the camera. More likely from another country that is even cheaper.

You'll get the wrong manual, but if its in English it looks like you could handle that (and you can always download a different manual off the web.)

Getting it serviced will probably be a problem. I don't know of Canon Japan will service a Gray Market camera.

As for lenses. The 50mm f1.8 is a good, cheap lens. But its cheaply made. If you really want "durable" then you might want to look elsewhere. On the other hand, it's so cheap for a lens ($60 USD) buying something which is more durable and more expensive might not be wise. You could probably break and replace several of them before you reach the price of an alternative.

If you don't mind not having a very wide angle lens, the canon 28-138 is a nice lens. Sigma also makes a good one around that zoom range.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 3:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the help Eric. I talked to one of my supervisors who speaks Japanese, he said that the Canon 20D's language is switched very easily. Also a person at the store showed me how to change the language. My supervisor also told me that the manual is bilingual.

Since I am just getting started, I am going to get the 50mm F/1.8 to save a little money, I might also get the EF-S 18-55 USM.
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:12 PM   #4

eric s wrote:
Quote:
Getting it serviced will probably be a problem. I don't know of Canon Japan will service a Gray Market camera.
Eric
Eric,
How do you know that it is a gray market camera ?
I would not JUMP to conclusions by degrading a reputable company on purchasing a product outside of unfamiliar territory.

http://www.rei.org/JPN/Tokyo/index-shopping.html

Akihabara, the " electronics town " of Tokyo is a fabulous place !
I bought the FIRST consumer DV camcorder that came out.. at the LAOX store.<<<AN AUTHORIZED SONY DEALER>>>
I also purchased the International Warranty good for 2 years.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:13 PM   #5

Old Jan 30, 2005, 3:05 AM   #6

hi kalal

Have you heard of this shop called sanpou. It is near tokyo i believe. Best of all its alot cheaper than bic-camera. try http://www.sanpou.co.jp/ . Service is good. i hope this was not too late. I personally would avoid Akihabara. From my experience there, certain things are a tad more expensive depnding where you go. However, at times you can pick up good bargains.

cheers
eknoyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:58 AM   #7

http://www.angelfire.com/id/croon/ja...ihastream.html

http://www.akiba.or.jp/english/
Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:31 AM   #8

Thanks for al the help. I have decided to order from B&H. I am going to get the 20D, 50mm F/1.8, 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 USM, Vertical grip, and a 1gb CF card. All of this for under $2000, which is cheaper than anywhere in Japan.