Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2005, 9:03 AM   #1

Hi all,

This is a question for my father he has just bought the 300d/rebel and would like to getan external flash gun, but not at canon prices any one recommend a good alternative to the canon flash guns that will work just as well?

Many thanks

Ian

IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:46 PM   #2

You'll find a lot of people on this site, myself included, that have been VERY happy with the Sigma 500 DG Super. It was reverse engineered from the Canon 550ex so has almost every feature but only slightly less power. It sells for around $200 (at BH Photo). Your father will not be disappointed. But, make sure it is the DG Super model - there is a lesser model, also with 500 designation that does not have all the features. I bought it 4 months ago based on recommendations from this site and am very happy. I will also recommend spending $20 on a stofen omni-bounce - it's a great, inexpensive accesory that helps soften the light from the flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 1:34 PM   #3

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
You'll find a lot of people on this site, myself included, that have been VERY happy with the Sigma 500 DG Super. It was reverse engineered from the Canon 550ex so has almost every feature but only slightly less power. It sells for around $200 (at BH Photo). Your father will not be disappointed. But, make sure it is the DG Super model - there is a lesser model, also with 500 designation that does not have all the features. I bought it 4 months ago based on recommendations from this site and am very happy. I will also recommend spending $20 on a stofen omni-bounce - it's a great, inexpensive accesory that helps soften the light from the flash.

Thanks JohnG,

I thought that was the one he should go for.

In the Uk he is looking at a Jessops(photostore) own brand model. Don't know how good these are.

Thanks for the advice.
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote