Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:52 PM   #1

HeHello all,

Have just bought a new Canon 20D, (with 17-85 lens), and have a couple of queries, (am new to DSLR)

1 the condition on unpacking, - no protective cellophane across either top or back display, and no cover over hotshoe, - is this normal ?

2 I am puzzled that the auto modes always seem to use ISO400, even outside, full daylight, and with tripod and remote, also some outdoor shots in full autouse flash. But it I go to manual, ISO is 100, shots are O.K. and histogram is also O.K.

Any info appreciated, - have looked across forums, but only found one ref. which seems to suggest that ISO400 will always be used for the auto modes, - is this so, or is it a result of the lens I am using ?

Thank You.
Phlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2005, 3:38 PM   #2

Hi Phlox,

My camera was definitely new when I bought it, and did not have any protective flim on the top or lcd display.

If you are in full auto the flash will always be used if the brightness is below a certain level. However, if the camera detects that the EV is 10 or more it assumes only fill flash is required and the flash power is automatically reduced. The flash is reduced by 1 1/2 stops between 10 and 13 EV.

I'm not certain, but I would think that in full auto, if the EV is >13, the flash won't automatically pop up in full auto mode.

In the basic zone modes the ISO is selected between 100 and 400 automatically, with shutter speed and aperature automatically set based on the mode. Canon doesn't give much of a description about the way the shutter speed, ISO and aperature are set ... just very general info. However, I do believe that full auto does default to ISO 400. Again, not certain, but in Portrait mode I believe ISO is set to 100.

If you want a pretty automatic modeI would really recommend using Program AE instead of Full Auto. Personally I have never used any of the Basic Zone modes on this camera or any other Canon SLR I've owned.

Program AE has a lot of advantages over Full Auto, i.e.,

- You can set the ISO
- You can set shutter speed (camera selects aperature), or
- You can set aperature (camera selects shutter speed)
- You can use flash exposure compensation if your flash pictures are a bit over or underexposed
- The pop up flash won't pop up unless you push the button to pop it up

So, just using this mode you can do everything that the Basic Modes can do, with a lot more control over ISO, shutterspeed, aperature.

I hope this helps!

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 7:42 PM   #3

Thanks for fast reply Bob,

Don't mind persevering with the 'creative' modes, my real concern was that I had been supplied a camera which was faulty, and had already been returned and "serviced" then sent out to me as a brand new model.

You have set my mind at rest about the protective stickers, - Still puzzled about no cover on the hotshoe, but that is nobig deal!

I bought the 20D because of the reviews I have read about possible results forthe money with proper manual use, and that is what I will primarily be doing with it, - with lots of practice, so thanks also for the tips.

Les

Phlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:15 PM   #4

You're welcome Les!

I forgot to mention ... the hotshoe doesn't come with a cover.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote