Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:26 AM   #1

My digital rebel works perfectly in all other dummy modes and creative modes..but while in sport mode....it will not autofocus and the shutter stays open to long. It will shoot in continuous mode but all pics are blurred. Light conditions make no difference. Any Ideas? Thank God I have an extended warranty !!

dcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:42 AM   #2
NHL

In the 'Sport' mode the DRebel does not focus once and stop - it will try to focus all the time at wherever the camera is pointed (the AF indicators also stay off) in this mode!

Could it be that the shutter speeds are too slow for the actions? :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:06 AM   #3

Yes .....It's hard for me to expalin what the problem really is as I am a novice. But yes the shutter speed is very slow and all the pics are blurry. The manual says "when focusing is achieved the beeper will sound softly" It does not do this anymore. I must of been mistaken about the AF indicator light. I could of sworn it use to light in sport mode....sorry.

Thank you for your guick reply to my last post.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:23 AM   #4
NHL

dcox wrote:
Quote:
... But yes the shutter speed is very slow and all the pics are blurry.
Are the pictures properly exposed though ???

Forget about the blurriness for a moment! :?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:38 AM   #5

Here is a screen capture of the 4 continuous pics in sport mode and EXIF info for one of them......I had to resize the capture, Hope you can view it clearly. Notice the Scene capture type.....it says STANDARD shouldn't this be SPORT? it changes appropiatly when I go to other modes.
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:59 AM   #6
Administrator

It's a matter of light. The EXIF on one of the photos shows a shutter speed of 1/5 second with an Aperture of f/4.5 at ISO 400.

This shutter speed is far too slow to prevent motion blur from camera shake and subject movement.

Sports Mode on the Digital Rebel is limited to ISO 400. At the focal length you were shooting at, f/4.5 was probably the largest available aperture for your lens.

What you think is bright is not (i.e., indoor lighting). The human eye adjusts well to low light (and a well lit interior is low light).But, a camera does not. It must keep the shutter open long enough for proper exposure.

One of the most common mistakesis trying totake photos indoors without a flash or tripod (without a bright lens and higher ISO speeds).

The "rule of thumb" is that you'll need shutter speeds of 1/focal length or faster to prevent motion blur from camera shake. For example, if you're at a 35mm equivalent focal length of 60mm, you'll want shutter speeds of 1/60 second or faster.. Sorry, but you're not going to get that with a lens that has alargest availableaperture of f/4.5 at that focal length, shooting at ISO 400 indoors without a flash.

This is only a rule of thumb, as some users can hold a camera steadier than others, and other users may require even faster shutter speeds. Now, this "rule of thumb" only applies to motion blur from camera shake, not from subject movement. So, for rapidly moving subjects, faster shutter speeds may be required (or simply use the flash).

See this handy online exposure calculator to get a better idea how EV, Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO speed work together to insure proper exposure of an image:

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/exposure_calculator.html

My advise: with your lens (I'm guessing that it's the kit lens), usea flash for non-stationary subjects indoors. If you don't like flash and your subjects are not moving, use a tripod.

Otherwise, you'll need to increase ISO speed (which will result in more noise/grain). Each time you double the ISO speed, the camera can use shutter speeds twice as fast for any given lighting and aperture. Even at ISO 1600, depending on your focal length and lighting indoors, you may still be dissapointed.

If you do decide to increase ISO speed, use a tool like Neat Image or Noiseware to reduce the appearance of noise later. You'll need to use a different mode togethigher ISO Speeds, too (for example, Av Mode, selecting a larger aperture, respresented by a smaller f/stop number).

Ifshooting indoors without without a flash or tripod is a high priority, then you'll want to buy a brighter lens. A 50mm f/1.8 lens is a popular low cost lens forthis purpose.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:55 PM   #7

it doesn't matter what light condition I am in..........outside in full sunlight I still am getting blurry (motion) sport shots........I just used the inside ones as a quick example.

Last summer we used the sport setting as our kids jumped in the swimming pool and the frames were all motionless. We can not do that now as they all show motion.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:17 PM   #8
NHL

It looks to me from the exposure value that there's nothing wrong with this camera... (white balance is off because of indoor incandescent that's all)

Try outside on a sunny day - when the actual shutter speed can overcome the subject(s) movements, the pictures will then be fine!