Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2005, 10:53 AM   #21

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The Metz is two heads... you still have a direct fill and a bounce :idea:
Yes...but it's still two small points of light and would benefit from one of the LumiQuest diffusers, wouldn't it? Like a SoftBox or an Ultrasoft?

Quote:
There's more to it than just flash - consistency of color balance as the battery wears out and flash evenness (ie like no hot spot)...
I'm not sure about the color balance issue with the other flashes (like the Vivitar 730AF), but I think the LumiQuest attachments are supposed to help with both color balance and flash evenness.

I already have the Vivitar 730AF unless there's some reason it's not going to be good. I could pick up that $12.95 right-angle bracket with two hotshoes (one on the top and one on the side), and then get the $50 Off-camera Canon EOS shoe cord. I can also pick up a LumiQuest Ultrasoft locally for $25. So, in this case, I'm looking at a $153 total solution ($65+50+13+25). Otherwise, I could get the nicer Stroboframe QuickFlip 350 for $50 instead of the $12.95 right-angle bracket. In that case, the total cost of the solution is $190 ($65+50+50+25). What would be wrong with either of those two solutions?

And I still don't see how I could get a Metz 45CL-4 or 45TL-4 for less than $300 or so.
YourFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:11 AM   #22

[align=left]The Lumiquests bounce surfaces are just white plastic, supposedly don't change the color of the light. They do cut your output by 2 - 3 stops depending on how you use them. The one I have can be used as a plain bounce attachment (2 stop loss) or opened up into a mini-soft-box(3 stop loss). Quickly turn your 50foot flash range into a 10foot range.

If you have the manual for the 730 what F-stop(s) is it supposed to operate at to get the iso100 ranges. I have not been able to find that. On my old vivitar It only got the max range at iso100 and at f2.8

[/align]
Quote:
I'm not sure about the color balance issue with the other flashes (like the Vivitar 730AF), but I think the LumiQuest attachments are supposed to help with both color balance and flash evenness.

Color and output consistence of the METZ is legendary, even the expensive name brand canon/nikon top end flashes fall down when compared to METZ for pro work.

Best you can do now is to work with your 730 to find out what it can do.

A cheap trick to make a bounce light attachment is to point your flash head up and use a rubber band to hold a white index cardto the flashhead and bounce off of. Use to be used by press shooters, probably still is. But not as trendy as the commercially available bouncers.

Peter.

Quote of the day:
It's Magic: Turn a silk purse into a sow's ear.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:36 AM   #23

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Quickly turn your 50foot flash range into a 10foot range.
I'm not really too concerned about that, however, since I'm usually right up against the stage and I can always use a higher ISO, slower shutter speed, and wider aperture if there isn't enough light from the flash. I'm looking for a little boost for when the light in the clubs is just insufficient for any kind of non-flash photography.

Quote:
If you have the manual for the 730 what F-stop(s) is it supposed to operate at to get the iso100 ranges. I have not been able to find that. On my old vivitar It only got the max range at iso100 and at f2.8
Here's what it says:
Working range for aperture at ISO 100 Full Power:
|--------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----|--28mm---|--35mm---|---50mm---|---85mm---|
|F4---| 0.7-6.8m | 0.7-7.0m | 0.8-8.0m | 0.8-8.2m |
|F5.6-| 0.7-4.8m | 0.7-5.0m | 0.8-5.7m | 0.8-5.9m |
|F8---| 0.7-3.4m | 0.7-3.5m | 0.8-4.0m | 0.8-4.1m |
|F11--| 0.9-2.5m | 0.9-2.5m | 0.9-2.9m | 0.9-3.0m |
|F16--| 0.9-1.7m | 0.9-1.8m | 0.9-2.0m | 0.9-2.1m |

Quote:
Color and output consistence of the METZ is legendary, even the expensive name brand canon/nikon top end flashes fall down when compared to METZ for pro work.
If anyone can tell me where I can get one for cheap, I'd consider it. I want to do whatever I can afford to help get the most natural-looking skin tones.

Quote:
Best you can do now is to work with your 730 to find out what it can do.
Yeah...I'd like to try that. I think I'm going to pick up that LumiQuest Ultrasoft today at a local store for $25. And I think I'll try it out tonight when I go see a friend of mine play in Raleigh.

Quote:
A cheap trick to make a bounce light attachment is to point your flash head up and use a rubber band to hold a white index card to the flash head and bounce off of. Use to be used by press shooters, probably still is. But not as trendy as the commercially available bouncers.
Yeah...well...it would look cheap but I like the idea of cheap solutions. Maybe I'll try that tonight too.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 11:52 AM   #24

Thanks, that is the chart I was looking for! Very useful information for making comparisons.

Me too I am always on the lookout for "inexpensive" finds, sometimes they can turn out to be great!.

I just dug my old LumiQuest out, it is called the UltraSoft, it Velcros on to your flash head. They only gave enough of the Velcro material to use iton one flash. Will have to find some more of it.

Peter.

Quote of the day:
Old Feb 1, 2005, 12:04 PM   #25

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, that is the chart I was looking for! Very useful information for making comparisons.
You're welcome! What does it tell you about the 730AF? Is this one going to work for me?

Quote:
I just dug my old LumiQuest out, it is called the UltraSoft, it Velcros on to your flash head. They only gave enough of the Velcro material to use it on one flash. Will have to find some more of it.
Can you just use a rubber band or two to attach the UltraSoft to the flash head? I also have some cable tie velcro-like strips that I think I can use. I won't use the adhesive on the flash because I don't want to mess it up.

So...how has that LumiQuest UltraSoft worked out for you? That's the model I'm thinking of buying today...
Old Feb 1, 2005, 1:46 PM   #26

The chart gives a better idea of the flash power, the guide number without an associated F/stop doesn't give much information.

Note from your chart thatat the 85mmsettingat iso100 and at F4 the max range is 8.2 meters(about 25 feet I think). Yet the marketing at vivitarsay ithasa Guide Number: 115 (ISO100/ft.) what they don't say is 115 feet at what f.x :-)so in reality you might need an F1.0 lens to actually get that kind of range.

YourFace wrote:
Quote:
You're welcome! What does it tell you about the 730AF? Is this one going to work for me?

Ya, a good rubber band might work. It normally attaches with 4 pieces of Velcro, one long along the back, 2 small on the sides and another little one in front to hold the diffusion material out. It used to work OK, long ago when I first shot peoples.

Peter.

Quote of the day:
Old Feb 1, 2005, 2:49 PM   #27
NHL

I have the Promax: http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm
... it can 'modified' the color balance depending on the insert (and yes it work with a Metz too!) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:27 PM   #28

That LumiQuest ProMax system looks pretty good. I guess it's not as soft as the UltraSoft because it doesn't have the front diffuser material but I am intrigued by the Gold insert idea. I'm wondering if that would help with getting more natural skin colors while using flash at concerts. What do you think? Which of the inserts do you use, when, and why?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 5:58 PM   #29
NHL

YourFace wrote:
Quote:
That LumiQuest ProMax system looks pretty good. I guess it's not as soft as the UltraSoft because it doesn't have the front diffuser material...
Yes it does! 2nd down from left... is the detachable diffuser (all the attachments fold flat in the included wallet)

FYI - http://www.lumiquest.com/lq902.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2005, 6:09 PM   #30

When I used to use it, I just used the plain white reflector, the UltraSoft itself doesn't take inserts.

EDIT: that is interesting that last page says the inserts are compatible with the UltraSoft.

But I don't find much use for it anymore, since I quite shooting at people:ak47:.I either usea flash(s)without attachments or withthe beamer to get more range for telephotouse.

Peter.

Quote of the day: