Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:26 PM   #1

I am seriously considering purchasing a Sigma 170-500mm APO zoom lens for my DRebel. I want it mostly for baseball photography and I know that it will have to be tripod/monopod mounted due to the focal length. Any thoughts on this lens? All are welcome! (yes money is a factor on this choice)
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2005, 9:02 AM   #2

What type of baseball? Will you be in stands far from the field or just off the field? The reason I ask is at 5-6.3 this lense may be a bit slow for stopping action - especially if there is the possibility of night games. If you are going to be just off the field, there's no way you'll need 500mm for baseball. So, if you're talking H.S. baseball or minor league with some sort of press pass you may be better off getting something shorter that's a bit faster: Canon 70-200 f4 or Sigma 70-200 2.8 (about $100 more than the lense you're looking at). Just my humble two cents.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:49 AM   #3

It will be high school, junior high and little league. No night games at all. I want to catch the action in the out field, the far side of the field and in the case of little league I want to be at the center field fence looking in at the batter. I currently use a Sigma 70-300mm zoom but want more. Also I take shots from just off the field. By the way your humble 2 cents was very welcome.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote