Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:36 PM   #1

When I use Tv and set it at 1/250th or whatever I would think this forces the camera to use that as a shutter speed. However on my 2oD it does not do that. As soon as I press the shutter it automatically chooses whatever speed is appropriate for the aperture selected? Is this the norm?
pcimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:45 PM   #2

I hate to ask the obvious, but are you sure you're not in Av? What you are describing is Av... and it is right next to it on the dial. Maybe you're inbetween the two on the dial?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:01 PM   #3

Eric, I understand how you could think I might be doing that since I am asking what seems like it should be a simple question. No, I definately am in Tv and not Av. I am thinking that what happens is that the 20D simply will not allow me to use a shutter speed that is going to result in a black image. But then somehow it does not make sense either because it would not really be Tv priority then.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:56 AM   #4

Flash or no-flash?
MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:48 AM   #5

It makes no difference with or without the flash. I am able to use the wheel to adjust the shutter speed to whatever I want it to be but as soon as I press the shutter half way the camera automatically sets the shutter to what is necessary to work with an aperture of f4. I am pretty much certain this camera is faulty. I mean it seems pretty straight forward that you set the shutter at 1/1000 and since you are in Tv priority it should stay there. Dog gone it! I just got the thing back from Canon Service after having them calibrate my 70-200fL lens. Now I will need to have them fix this too. What a bummer.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:05 AM   #6

You have Firmware 1.05? I'm not familiar with all the "bugs" in previous versions, but know there were some.

Speaking of your lens ... what needed calibrated? I have the 70-200IS lens.

-- Mitch
MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:08 PM   #7

The lens I sent in to be calibrated was the Canon 70-200f4L . It was back focusing pretty bad. They asked that I send in the lens along with the camera for calibration. Apparently my lens actually needed to have the circuit board replaced.

My firmware version is 1.1.0 I was thinking about maybe trying to go back to the previous version to see if it was working then. I do not recall if it ever did work differently though.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:18 PM   #8
-jb

Custom Function C.Fn-16 gives override capabilities to Tv and Av. It's called a safety shift.

Turn it off if you don't want it.

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:06 PM   #9

jb: would you expand on this a little for me as I have noticed the same thing from time to time with my 20d.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:18 PM   #10

What JB is saying is we need to disable Safety Shift in Custom Fn 16. If it is enabled it overrides shutter priority. Safety Shift works to assure a proper exposure in other modes bu automatically adjusting the shutter speed if it is inappropriate for a given lighting situation. Until someone else told me about this today I was sure my camera was broke. Boy! These forums are so fabulous sometimes. For those of you out here who continue to be willing to share your experiences with us, I just want you to know we appreciate it. I was all set to send this thing back to Canon today. LOL It was not so funny a little whaile ago though.