Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2005, 2:21 AM   #1

Hello fellas! I recently got back from Hawaii (got a lot of pics posted on pages 2-4 on the Panasonic forum for those interested) and I almost have enough money to make my purchase of the D20. I am confused looking at the lenses. I figured out that the more expensive ones should be better and also the ones with the wider fstop opening (esp. if it doesn't change throughout the zoom range). I guess I will get one or two lenses to start. But I do want quality b/c I will be doing studio headshots with them (when I have the money I will probably buy a fixed lens just for headshots). I am also used to my FZ20 which has a zoom equivalent of 432mm. For a little gal like me it is nice not to have such a large camera with such a high zoom capability. I know I can't hand hold a 400mm lens, but if anyone has a fairly large lens, zoom preferably I would appreciate a review on it. And a comparison of the two lenses of the same focal length, from Canon-I will stick w/canon lenses unless someone has a great review of another brand-In other words if the cheaper lens looks the same but the difference is only the fstop, let me know. But if I am going to make the purchase I don't mind spending double or triple the money for a better lens. Thank you in advance, you are all welcome to pm me if it is easier for you, although you may want to post it so other newbies like myself can read about it.
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:24 AM   #2

Here are a couple of good review sites:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/index.php?cat=45

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...s-Reviews.aspx

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...n_lenses.shtml

How much are you thinking of spending?

If you want a ultra-compact telephoto zoom lens maybe you should look at the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM.

Add the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and you have big coverage. But it will cost you.

timmyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:55 PM   #3

Thanks Timmy. I could spend a grand on a lens maybe a bit more. So those two that you recommended are really great. I just wonder though with that f4-5.6, if the lens is too dark. I am used to getting lenses that have a wider aperture. But I like the compactness of it all. Decisions, decisions. Should I also look into Tamron, and Sigma?
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:38 PM   #4

Nancy, I have the Canon 70-200 f4L. About $575 at B and H. It is not as powerful as what you may want though. The next step up is the 70-200 f2.8 which is heavier ( about $1100) but with it you can add a 2X tele converter making it 400. In fact on a Canon 20D if you consider the crop factor of 1.6 your effective focal range is said to be quite a bit more. However once you add the tele converter your aperture becomes a 5.6. I only mention this lens because it is one of Canons most respected in your price range.

Sigma is cheaper and only marginally less quality in sharpness if any. Sigma offers a 70-200 f2.8 for like $750 or so. Again, using the 2X converter makes it over 400 and brings the aperture to 5.6.

Other telephotos by Canon and Sigma are cheaper but if you compare quality of glass and look at samples you will see the difference. Read lots of reviews on the lenses you consider. Canons L quality is hard to beat.
pcimaging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 12:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. Is the teleconvertor made by canon???
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:19 AM   #6

I would also be a little careful about using a 2x teleconverter. For the most part folks have reported little to no loss in quality when they use a 1.4x teleconverter but most posts I have seen report a loss in quality when using a 2x. Sometimes it may be necessary to use a 2x but if you think you would be using it on a regula basis that setup might not be ideal. Canon does make teleconverters but they tend to only work on their L lenses (that is what they were designed for) - so if you end up getting a non-L Canon lense or third party lense there is a good chance the Canon teleconverter will not work with it.

Personally I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8 ($720) and use a Sigma 1.4 teleconverter ($175) when necessary. The effective range of the lense is 112-320mm w/o TC, but with TC it's 157-448. And it still operates at f4.0. But the setup is heavy. I can handhold the lense only without an issue but with the teleconverter I find a monopod almost a must if I'm going to be shooting for any length of time.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:29 AM   #7
NHL

If you plan on using a 70-200 f/2.8 with a 1.4x most of the time, get the Sigma 100-300 constant f/4: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/easytxt.htm#Ztelel

There's just nothing sharper or 'faster' in a zoom! :idea:

... here's my example with the 2x TC: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...48&forum_id=65
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i second the sigma 100-300 constant f/4.. fast, sharp lens and the price will still allow you to pick up a nice normal zoom i.e. canon 28-135 image stab for a nice walk-around lens...

enjoy, dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:58 AM   #9
NHL

FYI - http://www.naturephotographers.net/je1001-2.html

...and more examples here with 1.4x teleconverter:
http://morrobayphotos.com/Sigma/100-300/
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 9:09 PM   #10

Thank you for all of your help. There is a lot of info to process here. One question right off hand, how does the sigma 100-300 compare to the Canon. From what I heard the Canon 100-300 is a compact lens, is the same true with the sigma?