Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:08 PM   #1

After what has felt like an eternity of planning, reading, testing, changing my mind over things and finally waiting for delivery my EOS 20D arrived today.

I was at work today, so I've not had much chance to test it out yet - just a few photos of my daughter when I got home. However, so far I'm very impressed and can't wait for the weekend to come so that I can have a proper play with the thing.

To cap the day off I've had an offer from a magazine to use one of my megalithic photos for their front cover. They printed some smaller b/w shots inside their mag last year which was the first time I had been paid for my work. This is my first front cover. Odd that it was one that I regarded as little more than a record shot which they selected to use.

So, 20D and mag front cover on the same day. Something's telling me to go out and take more shots! :G
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:17 PM   #2

Double congratulations!

20D is an excellent choice.

Sometimes shots that seem less exciting are chosen because they have blank areas where magazine titles and headlines can be placed. Don't know if that was your case.

Now you have to make twice as many photos as you used to!

Monito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:16 PM   #3

Yeah, this one has a nice big blank area of sky for them to use for their titles. It was one of those days where I was far away from home and knew that it would be a long time before I could return to the location. It was very overcast and drizzling, very low cloud - dead flat light. On top of everything elsethe image on my web site was scanned with a poor quality scanner from a colour print. I've just had to go dig out the negatives to rescan at something approaching acceptability. I'm a bit too ashamed of the shot to give a link to it here after seeing all the excellent work that is posted to these forums.

Hopefully I'll soon have a few shots from the 20D that I feel happy enough with to post here. I can see myself taking a couple of days holiday to bolt on to the weekend, I'm just itching to get out there and do something with what I am calling The Beast! :-)
Old Feb 11, 2005, 1:58 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Enjoy it and post some photos at the weekend. :-)
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:20 PM   #5

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Enjoy it and post some photos at the weekend. :-)
Well, we're having a run of really miserable weather here. I did manage to get out for about an hour or so today when it wasn't raining, but our two year old daughter was having a bit of a tantrum fit so I didn't really get much done.

I did take a few at home of my little girl, but still nothing that I would rate to be worthy of these hallowed forums.

Biggest mistake I keep making at the moment is setting a high ISO for indoor shots (as mentioned above) and then forgetting to set it back down again outside :roll: Thing is that I only notice the noisy image when I get back home and download to the PC - humm I need a "slaps head" emoticon!

I'll get there and when I do shoot something that I'm happy with then I'll post it.

I have noticed a pixel defect of some kind when reviewing images tonight. I don't know if it's related to the high ISO settings I've been using. I'm aware of "hot pixels" when making long exposures, but I've not done any long exposures yet. Seems to be a stuck pixel, always in the same place in the frame. Seems kind of odd that I can't spot it in any of the lower ISO shots I've taken - or maybe I'm not looking hard enough :-)

...Later, yeah, seems like I wasn't looking hard enough! Can be quite hard to spot it depending upon the subject, but it is there right from the very first shot I took. Is this anything to be concerned about? It is easily fixed during processing, but rather irritating. Now that I know that it's there my eye keeps getting drawn to that part of the picture in every shot. Example shown below :-
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:38 PM   #6

Okay, I've been having a play. Didn't get much chance to go out and about today, so I messed around a little indoors this evening. I rigged up a very Heath Robinson setup in the living room (which included a black shirt draped over the back of a chair behind the subject), positioned my prop, lit a candle, turned the lights out and experimented with some long exposures.

I've never done anything like this before - my digital point and shoots wouldn't have been up to it and I couldn't have afforded to "waste" the film with my EOS 500N.

I think I could have done with a little reflector behind the candle to help direct the light, but still pretty pleased with the results for a first attempt.

This one is pretty heavily cropped down from a full figure shot of a 5" high buddha statue. ISO 100 f5.6 for 6 seconds with the kit 18-55mm lens locked off at 55mm.

(ps, this one was my favourite of the bunch, if you half close your eyes he might just about come alive).
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:40 PM   #7

And a full length shot of the little chap shot under similar conditions. Okay, nothing earth shattering I know. I was trying to get something that looked a little more unsettling than this. Maybe I'll manage that with a little play around in PSE :-). Hehe, totally different to anything I've done before though, and I thoroughly enjoyed shooting them. Up until now most of my work has been done in the "great outdoors" of bloomin' huge megalithic structures.
Attached Images

Old Feb 12, 2005, 8:04 PM   #8

Humm, yes, disembodying him has more of the effect that I was after. I was also thinking that wafting some smoke around infront might help, but I don't think that Mrs Squonk would be too impressed with that in the living room :?
Attached Images