Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:29 PM   #1

Hi,

I just upgraded to the 20D from my Nikon Coolpix 8700. One issue I've run into is the resolution of the images I import into Photoshop Elements 3.

My old camera (also an 8MP'er) imported photos at a resolution of 300 pixels/inch making a photo of approximately 8x10 inches.

The 20D's pictures are importing at a resolution of 72 pixels/inch giving a default size of approximately 32x48 inches.

Needless to say, I'd prefer it to work like the Coolpix did.

Is this something I can control? Is it a function of the camera, the software, or something else?

I tried connecting both by USB directly and by reading the CF into the computer directly. I didn't use any of the Canon software - just took the pictures directly into PS E 3.

Thanks,
-Mike

mbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i am not sure why it is opening the file as such.. but it is easily corrected, if you do the math 72 pix/inch at 32x48 is approximately 300 pix/inch at 8x10.. so their is nothing wrong with your files.. it is just that elements is opening it differently for whatever reason..

just go to the image drop down menu.. select resize and then on the last box that says resolution, type in 300... i am not sure if it saves it as a default, if it does, then you are set.. if not, you will simply have to do this every time..

hope this clears up your problem, and if anyone out there knows more on this issue please feel free to chime in..

cheers, Dustin Hardwick
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:29 PM   #3

Thanks, Dustin.

I am hoping to figure out why this is happening. Even though I can correct the problem manually, it will be a major annoyance if I have to do this for every picture I take (macros or not).

-Mike
Old Feb 10, 2005, 7:20 AM   #4

An update...

1) I connected the camera via USB and then I tried using Canon's software to import the images - couldn't. Got a message on the computer that the camera was busy.

2) I used Windows to open the camera, copied a photo to my desktop, and opened it with Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. There I noticed in the EXIF data that the x & y resolution were set to 72.

3) I uninstalled Canon's Windows drivers, downloaded the latest drivers and reinstalled them - no difference.

Is the x & y resolution configurable? Does this happen to other 20D owners?
Old Feb 10, 2005, 8:33 AM   #5

I just got off the phone with Canon Tech. Support.

They told me that 72 is the resolution of the camera and cannot be changed.

I guess I'll just have to set up a macro to convert the files in PSE3 or learn to live with it. Not the worst thing in the world.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:15 AM   #6
Super Moderator

that is very strange to me.. i cannot imagine why canon would set the default resolution to 72 p/inch.. you could set up a macro, but it really only a couple seconds to each pictures editing..

odd that i have not heard more ppl complaining of this problem..

g'luck... dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 10:45 AM   #7

The woman from Canon's Tech Support said that for almost all instances, 72 p/i was preferable. Only when producing very large prints would it be a drawback.

Seems a bit odd to me, as well.

-Mike
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:08 PM   #8

mbrant... the woman on Canon tech support is just wrong.

Was she actually trying to suggest that most people want to print at 72ppi for non-"big" prints? No, most people prefer to print around 200ppi. That is truly silly.

I know that the full photoshop can be told to switch the default ppi setting when loading the image. So it just overrides what Canon puts into the file. I know that the output of my 20D, when opened Photoshop CS, has 240 ppi set by default.

I don't know if PS Elements3 can do that, but you might want to poke around in the options.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:46 PM   #9

Hi Eric,

I think she was overly focused on email/CRT and not on print. Her main point was that most print programs can easily accomodate.

I just want to make sure I understand...your 20D outputs at 72 ppi like mine, but you've got your PS configured to automatically adjust to 240 ppi. Is that right?

Thanks for your tip. I'll try and see if I can find a setting in PSE3. I know I can process batches against files - I'm not sure if I can set it to make the adjustment automatically on input.

-Mike
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:04 PM   #10

Do yourself a favor and get past the meaningless dpi numbers - they are only useful when printing. And then only if you know enough to control your software properly.

Yes, you can change the DPI setting in the saved image. It's an attribute in the META data. But since you won't ever be printing at 300DPI unless you go to a pro printing outlet, why bother? No Martha - your 2880DPI Espon doesn't print at 300DPI. It RENDERS at 300DPI if you tell it to, but it CAN'T print at 300DPI.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote