Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:37 AM   #1

I am about to spend about $900 for some accessories for my DRebel, a zoom lens and flash. My question to everyone is which flash would you get, the Sigma EF-500 ST or the Sigma EF-500 Super. There is about $50 price difference. I do a lot of shots for newspapers and about 80% of its use would be for that. ALL OPINIONS INVITED AND WELCOME.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:41 AM   #2
NHL

You want the Super version - It has the Canon's E-TTL wireless feature as well as the FP and 2nd curtain synchronization modes over the ST
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:16 PM   #3

ALL OPINIONS INVITED AND WELCOME. A very dangerous statement - then you get people like me putting stuff on here!!

Spend MOST on a good piece of glass !!!

Canon/Sigma for flash - watch out forMetz, kinda chintzy build and they are reverse engineered for new cameras - they have a rep for lagging behind in compatibility.

Jon F.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 2:31 PM   #4

I'd pick(and did)a Sigma 500dg-super for the flash, good features and power but a bit plasticky feeling. That would still leave you 600$-700$ for a lens.

Umm Sigma is famous for their reverse engineered products, as all their lenses that used to require re-chipping attest to, because they did not license the Canon design. :-)

Peter.

Setiprime wrote:

Quote:
Spend MOST on a good piece of glass !!!

Canon/Sigma for flash - watch out forMetz, kinda chintzy build and they are reverse engineered for new cameras - they have a rep for lagging behind in compatibility.

Jon F.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:41 PM   #5
NHL

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Umm Sigma is famous for their reverse engineered products, as all their lenses that used to require re-chipping attest to, because they did not license the Canon design. :-)
Didn't they reverse engineer an entire camera for Kodak in Canon mount - the Pro SLR/c?
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...LRcIndex.jhtml

If folks can reverse engineer more complex processors like a Pentium and excelled @ it as well then why not - competition is good -> it drives the prices down!
... and yes even my Thinkpad is now 'chintzy' plastic :idea:
Old Feb 10, 2005, 4:27 PM   #6

Yes so true.

I've got a T-40 ThinkPad, saysmade in China on it. I've heard that now IBM has sold offits pc/laptopgroup to a Chinese owned company altogether. :sad:The never ending quest for lower production costs and higher profits. :sad:

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 7:14 AM   #7

Thanks everyone, the Super it is. I use a Sigma 70-300mm Zoom right now and love it. I have not had any problems. I am going to buy a Sigma 170-500mm zoom. My intentions are to take photos from the center fence of kids batting at my local little league field (distance 200 feet from fence to home plate). Parents will love it (I take well over 1000 photos a season there and a LOT of parents get action photos from me). Thanks again!
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:28 AM   #8
NHL

It might be too far for this flash... especially with the minimum f-stop that your lenses have -> check your ISO (or use a "better beamer")

FYI - GN in meter (or feet) = distance X f/stop
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:56 PM   #9

I use a Sunpak 383 super for news stuff and I paid $60 for it at B & H Photo Video website (lol).

Probably the more expensive flashes work a little better.

My flash is guide number 120. If you need more power, go for a gn 150.

Another nice feature to consider is control of flash strength. The more steps you can use to control the power, the better. To me, 1/16th steps would be the most awesome, cause then you could fine tune manual flash adjustments.

The main thing for me isn't so much whether the flash has all the bells and whistles, but rather if you know how guide it and tune it, and get a good feeling for it's performanceunder different situations given your camera setup.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote