Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 11, 2005, 9:15 PM   #1

I picked up a 10d the other day to replace my 300d. I was strulin with the small buffer and lack of AI shooting raw.
I have only managed a couple of hours outside with it but I have noticed nearly all my shots seem one stop over exposed.

I have tried evaluative meterin and tried several combinations within custom functions, the closest to a good exposure I can get is to use center weighted with AI servo on.

I spoke to the shop I bouht it from and they have agreed to refund my money so there isnt a problem there. Im not overly familiar with all the custom functions. I know what they do in their own right but im not sure what the different combinations do together.

Am I missing something obvious ?

Even in full auto mode the shots im getting are still slightly over but only by half a stop, and why using AI servo it corrects the shots im afraid I have no idea.

If anyone has any thoughts id be greatful, Monday is one of the last hunts before the Fox hunting ban comes into place in our country and I was really wanting to get some shots before it all ends.

Regards Smudger
Smudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:08 AM   #2

Do you get this with only one lens or with various lenses? I had an over exposure issue with a particular lens on my 300D. That same lens worked on other types of Canon cameras but not on any 300Ds. Canon replaced the lens.

FYI, it was a Canon 50mm 2.8.
NLAVD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:35 AM   #3

No im afraid it is all lenses. Even the one that came with it and was used by the previous owner. Looking back before I purchased it I remember it was set to -1 on the meter. I was hoping moving from the 300d to this it was just me not used to it, but after a few days now i know it is the camera. I have just oredered a brand new one and this one goes back on wednesday. I have a fair idea where the metering lies so I will hopefully still get some decent shots today.

Thanks for replying
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:38 AM   #4

Is your exposure compensation setting zeroed? The wheel can change it and some people not used to the camera have ended up with overexposed pictures this way.

There should be a menu item to zero (reset) all the custom functions. If you can't find it, I think you could also do it by removing both batteries (big one and coin sized one) for half an hour.
Monito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:41 AM   #5

Have you done a side by side comparison with your 300D?

Have you used the F16 rule?

Have you taken a series at the same EV but increasing shutter speed while opening the lens?

Have you considered posting some examples so that people trying to help you could see?
Monito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:56 PM   #6

Yeah thanks for your replies. Yes the wheel was zeroed. It was the camera for sure. Got the new one today and its just great. I really only wanted the extra buffer and that was the reason for the change, I know its an older gen camera but im very pleased with it. AI Servo while using RAW, 9 frame buffer, I really like the viewer zoom too plus it feels a whoile lot more than the 300.
Im not knocking the 300, it has really wet my appetite again for photography. I guess it has done what canon wanted it to do.