Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:20 PM   #1
BJC

What is the best setting to use for sports

inside a gym. I either have blurred photos or

dark ones. I am just learning to use the camera

and appreciate any advice.
BJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:57 PM   #2

Ok.. Here's what I do. Go into Av mode. Set your aperture to it widest setting (lowest number). Bump up the ISO setting. Start with 800. If that doesn't give you better pictures try 1600. Don't be afraid to go to 3200 if you need to. The pictures will be noisy but they clean up nicely with things like Neat Image.... You can also try using AI Servo mode. To change these setting you can find how to do that in the manual.

My guess how ever is unless you've bought a fast lens (which are more expensive) you might not get the results you are looking for...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:10 PM   #3

What lens are you using? I also shot indoor sporting activities (fast action, low light, etc.). As a beginner, I started with the 20D kit - yes, I tried to use the 18-55/3.5-5.6, but I was not satisifed with the results - blurred or dark. I talked to some people at a gymnastics meet to see what they were doing. They told me that in this particular setting they were using lenses with f/2 or lower. After doing some research, I determined that the best lens that I felt I could afford was the Canon 85/1.8. Obviously, I prefer a zoom, but I wanted to start with something less 2.0 - the 85/1.8 was highly recommended on many sites; so, I took the plunge. The change was amazing - I guess it was expected, but I didn't (and still dont) know a lot about what I was doing. Anyway, I now use the 85/1.8 for basketball and gymnastics - thus far, I have been pleased. I usually set the mode to Tv and set the shutter at 1/400 or 1/500 - I am watching for the aperture to be ~2 – 2.5; I usually have the ISO at 1600 – sometimes 800, but mostly 1600. I will try to provide a couple of shots below.

Attached Images

acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:21 PM   #4

Nice shot! I really like it!

I use a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM. Think it's about $800. I love this lens! Most gym i goto seem to be really dim. At f2.8 I'm usually forced to shot ISO 3200 to get a descent shutter speed. I've found that Neat Image does a great job cleaning these images up though... I've even printed some as big as 13 X 19 with great results.

Here's one of my favorites at ISO3200..

Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:01 PM   #5

Thanks - your photo is awesome! Since you seem to appreciate gymnastics, here is one that I took a recent meet. This was taken as a JPEG and has not be altered (other than a little cropping to get under 250k). A zoom would be nice, but I am satisfied for the most part with the 85/1.8 - it was~$400. Now, I have to try to learn how to improve my images with software - will this ever end? First I wanted a good camera to capture fast action, next I had to have a lens to do this with - now, I still want it to look better. It's odd that a few months ago I was satisfied with whatever I got from my 4 MP point and shoot.
Attached Images

acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:34 AM   #6

Turn up the ISO.

It takes light to make a photo. Light comes in two ways. Brightness or length of exposure. ISO sets the cameras sensitivity to light. Higher ISO = higher sensitivity.

Too little light means dark pictures.

Too long an exposure means blurry picturs.

The compromise if to get ENOUGH light with an exposure that isn't blurry.

Increasing ISO from 100 to 1600 will cut the exposure:

100 -> 200/400/800/1600 or 4 stops, so a 1/8 exposure (very blurry) becomes

1/8" -> 1/15 1/301/60 1/125. So now that 70mm lens can be used at 1/125s and not be overly blurry - and have a chance at proper exposure.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:56 AM   #7

Or, if they let you, (some places will, some won't)use a good flash like the Canon 580ex, Sigma 500dg super with the short lens. Add a better beamer to the flash fora long lens.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:46 PM   #8

acrabb wrote:
Quote:
Thanks - your photo is awesome! Since you seem to appreciate gymnastics, here is one that I took a recent meet. This was taken as a JPEG and has not be altered (other than a little cropping to get under 250k). A zoom would be nice, but I am satisfied for the most part with the 85/1.8 - it was~$400. Now, I have to try to learn how to improve my images with software - will this ever end? First I wanted a good camera to capture fast action, next I had to have a lens to do this with - now, I still want it to look better. It's odd that a few months ago I was satisfied with whatever I got from my 4 MP point and shoot.
Nice pic! And no... it NEVER ENDS! LOL! There is always something else you just have to have...