Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:14 PM   #11

NHL wrote:
Quote:
I agree that the 7D is slower, but that's only on power up (my 10D is slower still)... frame to frame is not too chabby though, but then when is the last time you shoot that fast? It depends on your shooting styles but usually one don't 'machine gun' it... and composition requires some amount of time between shot unless you're a press photographer.
BTW I still have a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 zoom too (so we have a lot in common!) :G
Actually,I do press work, but on a low level- I own a TINY local newspaper that is so small there is no longer enough ad income to keep it in print so I went to an online production in PDF. I did do a monthly print issue for about ten years though.

I also have dogs and cats I like to shoot as well as wildlife, so speed is a virtue with me. The benefit is being able to shoot 20 frames in four seconds then choosing the one where the dog's eyes are open and his tongue isn't hanging out like a businessman's tie in the wind! I can always get one IS lens later, but can not make the 7D take pictures any faster. I also do own two Star D Pro tripods (one converted to a monopod/hiking stick that I take alond in teh woods anyway).

The Minolta is nice, but more money and less resolution and slower speeds. I am already pushing the envelope with the 20D- HECK! I am pushing an entire stationary sotre around- not jus tthe envelope!

I did go and play with the 20D again today. Took a 128mb card with me (the largest I CURRENTLY have). The salesman came up and I mentioned I was looking at the D70 at first, and he picked it up and watched as he tried to find a place for his thumb and couldn't. After about thirty seconds he put it down and complained his thumb hurt!

I took 30 pictures, trying to rmember just a little of what I learned in teh manual. it is hard to read, wait three hours, then try to operate a new camera as complicated as the 20D, but i did get come nice shots, even on full auto.

Using the camera to its fulllest capabilities is sort of like tap dancing with your hands, but i would rather have a camera like that. The camera I had was the CP900. Your 990 is a far more capable camera than the 900- no comparison, really.

Looks like I order the 20D on Monday (if I can wait that long)!

Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:02 PM   #12

Randy,

Advantage of the 20D is the clean pics athigh ISO's, which really helps in low light situations.

You can shoot in low light at ISO3200 and still get a pretty clean shot. Most other cameras you'd be grabbing for your flash gun.

The 20D is ultra fast, both at start-up and in terms of shutter lag. You'll miss fewer shots. And if you buy decent Canon lenses, your autofocus will be nearly instantaneous.

All in all, the 20D is the way to go for press photography. I'm using it for sports photography for a local paper.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:23 PM   #13

Randy, it's too bad you didn't get to look at the *ist Ds. The Canon 20D is absolutely a great camera. I had a camera shop that let me try both the 20D and the *ist Ds for an entire week, so I was able to compare them at length. (I had already decided I didn't want the D70 for the same reasons you did - awful ergonomics).

The summary of my experience is:

a) if you don't mind spending $500 more and you don't mind the ergonomics of the 20D (larger than the *ist Ds), then by all means buy the 20D. It's definitely faster than the Pentax in terms of the 5 FPS, and is overall a great camera.

b) You can get the Pentax for $870 on the web including the kit lens and the ergonomics of this camera are absolutely great. It is much smaller than either the D70 or the 20D and the camera body does not feel at all toy-like, has an all metal chassis with a polycarbonite cover. The camera uses the same sensor as the Nikon D70. I love the menu system and controls, and the the thing just takes great pictures.

Try out the Pentax you won't be sorry.
jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:12 PM   #14

jaynlisa wrote:
Quote:
Randy, it's too bad you didn't get to look at the *ist Ds.
I did seriously consider the *ist DS. But not being able to hold one and try it out was a problem. Hard to spend that much sight unseen. But there were some factors that moved me to the 20D. Among other things, the Eos has:

-Higher image resolution
-More sophisticated focusing system,
(very fast and accurate form what I have seen)
-Faster start up time
-Shorter shutter lag
-More frames per second
-Faster top shutter speed

The smaller size and the fact that the *ist takes AA cells was tempting early on, but the 1000 shots per charge on the EOS is more than sufficient, and for the above factors I can learn to live with the larger size EOS.

Too late, anyway! The EOS arrives TODAY! "out for delivery"! :-) I am waiting with pen-in-hand to sign for it!

Thanks for thinking about me, though. It is appreciated.
Randy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 8:58 PM   #15

The more you play with the 20D, the more you will like it.

The only thing you wont like is that you wish you had $7000 to buy the EOS-1Ds Mark II. (lol)

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:40 PM   #16

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
The only thing you wont like is that you wish you had $7000 to buy the EOS-1Ds Mark II. (lol)
That thing looks like it'll hurt my wrists.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:43 PM   #17

How about another option - I just purchased a "Factory Demo" 10D for $799. As new, 1 year warranty as well. I'm loving it - pro build, size, featuresand weight for the price of a Rebel. 6.2 MP is plenty for me...
Geeeyejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:45 PM   #18

Geeeyejo wrote:
Quote:
How about another option - I just purchased a "Factory Demo" 10D for $799. As new, 1 year warranty as well. I'm loving it - pro build, size, features and weight for the price of a Rebel. 6.2 MP is plenty for me...
Good for you. The 10D is a fantastic camera.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:20 PM   #19

I agree you made a great choice and the camera will help you make great images.I think you will be very happy with it and the price was good too :-)

The difference in linear resolution going from 6mp to 8mp is only 15% not work worrying about. (found a neat chart in the CICC newsletter here http://www.country-images-newmarket....Newsletter.pdf
the MP comparison table is on page 7, you need to go from 6mp to 24mp to get a 100% increase in linear resolution.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 5:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Among other things, the Eos has:

-Higher image resolution
-More sophisticated focusing system,
(very fast and accurate form what I have seen)
-Faster start up time
-Shorter shutter lag
-More frames per second
-Faster top shutter speed
Well, I agree withmost of what you saidexcept:

-The difference between 6mp and 8mp is very small and really negligible. I'd rather have 8 than 6 for cropping certainly, but it makes really no difference in picture quality unless you are enlarging to 20 x 30.

-Actually the *Ist Ds has the more sophisticated focusing system. It uses the 11-point SaFox VIII, and the Canon uses a 9-point AF which is also very effective.Many people findthe Pentax to be faster than the 20D at focusing. I found them to be about equal in my testing.

-Startup times (power-on to capturing the first image)are 6/10 of a second for the 20D and 1 sec for the Pentax. So, you can take a picture 4/10 of a second faster with the 20D when the camera is off. That might make a difference to you, it might not.

-Shutter lag for both cameras isvery close:
Prefocused:less than1/10 second for the 20D, and 1/10 second for the Pentax
Using AF: both cameras take 3/10 second
In the real world the camera is usually not pre-focused, so this makes no difference at all in normal use

-More frames per second - the Canon definitely wins here. 5 fps vs 2.8 for the Pentax.

-Faster shutter speed - the Pentax goes up to 1/4000 second whereas the 20D will do 1/8000 of a second. I've never needed faster than 1/2000 of a second, but you may do some specialized photography that needs the faster speeds.

Some other things I like better about the Pentax:

-It has a much brighter, larger, easier toread LCD.
-the viewfinder on the Pentax is brighter
-I like the AA rechargeable battery idea better than a $80 proprietary battery
-The wireless remote for the *ist DS is $29, the remote for the 20D is something like $300.
-I liked the Pentax menu system better. More intuitive.
-The size and ergonomics of the Pentax is much better. This was important to me.

Now overall which is the better camera? The Canon 20D no doubt. I just didn't think it was $700 better.

jaynlisa is offline   Reply With Quote