Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2005, 2:40 PM   #1

Hi,

Well, i've finally done the one stupid thing I thought i'd never be found guilty of.... deleting files from the camera before I had transferred them to the computer. I guess it was fairly inevitable really!

Thankfully enough I only used the "Erase All" function of the camera and not the complete format. I was able to recover the files using an Image Recovery program but I'm still having trouble with them.

All the images were shot in Canon Raw format and despite them being recovered in full from the camera the Canon software is unable to process them. When I tried to open the *.CRW files in the software I could not view the files. Neither could I extract the Jpg from the CRW file or convert the CRW file into a Tiff or Jpg format. In short I have the files sitting in my computer and I am completely unable to do anything with them. The Recovery program re-named the files when it extracted them from the CF card, I triedgiving some the original file-name but had no luck with it.

Has this happened to anyone before? Doyou know of a way around this problem? Even wild stab in the dark guesses would be helpfull. I was out and about for a couple of hours and what I had hoped were some promising shots are currentlycompletely useless.
redundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:32 AM   #2

Has anyone got any ideas? Like I said, even wild stab in the dark guesses would be welcome.

I really don't want to lose the images if there is any way I can help it!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:27 AM   #3

i just did your little science project with my choice of recovery utilities, PhotoRescue

1Dm2

freshly formatted card

shot 25 or so mixed format images 15 being raw (CR2) format.

used "erase all images on card " option

removed card and put into reader

started photorescue

it automatically used its method 4, 5, and 7 recovery routines.

it recovered 606 images from the card including all the raw files just shot. thumbnails for all

opened the raw files using the following programs: acdsee7.0, PSCS ACR 2.4, and canon DPP 1.5 with success on all.

now either your using some less then capable recovery program or you really scragged the card. but in my opinion they are there and are safe for the moment. i strongly suggest you give photorescue a try and then buy it. it worth it.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:41 PM   #4

Photorescue wasn't the program I used, but I might give it a shot.

I don't think the program I used failed in any way. It recovered something like 200 files from the card, the Canon Raw *.CRW files and the thumbnail *.THM. I could view the *.THM files without the slightest problem. It was only the Canon Raw files I could not access.

I am thinking the problem is more to do with the Canon browser software (Browser EX or whatever its called) more so then the file recovery program. With the Canon Raw format being a proprietary file system the Canon software is the only software that I can view the files on. Niether ACDSee or Photoshop Elements II can open the files (even the perfectly healthy ones). So I am kind of stumped. The Canon software is the only software I have to access the images, yet it won't work on these files.

Like I said I don't think it is the fault of the image recovery program I used but I will give the program you mentioned a try anyway. I haven't written any files to the card since so hopefully they should all still be there somewhere.

Thanks for the help mate

, let me know if any other ideas crop up!
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:26 PM   #5

actually all current versions of acdsee v7.00 and abovesupport all forms of canon raw. elements 2 never did and never will. elements 3 supports CRW andthe other raw formats and uses the same ACR updates that PSCS does. you need to do a little updating there if your going to continue to use this format. ahh the cost of progress and quality.

Zoombrowser EX was on my machine for about 5 minutes and was eliminated. fairly useless.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:47 PM   #6

Hi,

I use Lexar CF cards and that comes with some rescue software, I've used it on other manufacturers cards and recovered shed loads of files.

If you want I can zip it up and mail it to you. PM me if you want it with your email address.

Cheers,
Carl.
CarlsPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:37 AM   #7

File recovery:

http://www.binarybiz.com

Used it once - was amazed at what it did... but expensive.

TDM_Canon_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:36 AM   #8

Thanks for all the help guys. You've given me a few new ideas to try.

I am using an old version of ACDSee... Version 5 I think. I had no idea the new ones supported Canon Raw format, so I may give that a try first. If not I'll get back to you on all the other suggestions. Thanks!