Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:12 PM   #21

that WOULD be logical... :lol:

actually i only have elements..
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:14 AM   #22
Super Moderator

jb

I agree, I keep RAW & PSD, JPG is only for output and to me is just another form of "print".

With PK Sharpener sharpening is split into 3 stages:
Capture
Creative
Output

So I do Capture sharpening as the first thing I do, then manipulation including NR, then any Creative sharpening, but I do this sparingly if at all. Then save the PSD file. Finally before printing or JPG creation do some Output sharpening appropriate to the graphic being produced, and I don't save those changes, after all I often print and produce JPGs of different resolution, all of which need different sharpening techniques.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:12 AM   #23

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I don't do the second pass very often, Eric. I will, however, often use masks as you mentioned to make sure that I am only applying noise reduction to the areas that really need it, usually the bg areas or large areas of solid color.
I'm still learning so sorry if this sounds daft, but I have done a similar thing when I wanted to apply Neat -Image to only specific areas. I simply brush over the detail areasand areas that didnt need cleaning with history brush directly after applying neat image.

Basicly I'm not sure how much more effective usingmasks is? And secondly I dont know how to use masks yet anyway:lol:. Lots to learn in photoshop for me.
vindolanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:59 AM   #24

lots of good info here! I'm starting to learn a lot more about post-processing. I've finally made my mind up last week to shoot RAW and KEEP an original copy of the RAW file. Nice thing about the Elements RAW converter (maybe it's true with others?) it remembers the setting i used last time I processed the file. I find that I really don't do much to my pictures outside the RAW convertor other than some USM and cropping...
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:33 AM   #25

Hey Mr_Saginaw, WWSD? You should do a Vulcan Mind Meld with one of the experts here on the forum! Then you would have all your questions answered without all that time-consuming experimentation. Can you do that by email?
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:05 AM   #26

eric s wrote:
Quote:
This is subject to debate.

I use it as the absolute first thing that I do after opening the image. This is because if I can't find a location which I can train it on, then I can use a premade profile. If you alter the image in a way that effects the noise you can't use a noise profile (for example, sharpening, contrast, exposure... almost anything.)

There is basic agrement that sharpening should be the last thing you do. And its output dependent. I sharpen more for print than for the web, for example.

Eric

I have looked at this and have found for me it makes no difference. Everyone seems to have a different opinion, Norm in the wildlife uses neat image last after sharpening and I think his shots look great. Ive tried both ways but find it is easier to do all my levels in photoshop then do the noise reduction last.

to the original poster, Great photos.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:42 PM   #27

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
[b]
to the original poster, Great photos.:-)
Thanks! :G