Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:30 PM   #1

I got my first media pass this last weekend to shot some women's tennis. I was kind of complaining a while back about the AF on my 20D... wasn't that impressed... even started trying to convince the wife I really needed a 1D MKII. :-)

But I have completely changed my mind! The gym was better lit than most than I normally shot in. f2.8 at ISO3200 gave me 1/640sec. Normally my shutter speed would be down around 1/200 or 1/250! Set the center AF point, AI servo and really concentrated on keeping the center point on the subject. All I can say is wow! I am really impressed with results!

I've also switched to shooting strictly RAW. I upgraded my Photoshot Elements 2.0 to 3.0. 3.0 comes with a very nice RAW converter. I'm getting much better color and exposures. At least I think so... :-)

To view more goto:

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/hidden/DCTC_2005/index.html
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 4:48 PM   #2

Very nice gallery, 20D showed offit's stuff! (never stop hinting at an upgrade to a 1D body :lol

Were all the shots at iso3200? They sure don't look it. :-)

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:18 PM   #3

Wow! Very impressive indeed. Loved the middle top and middle bottom shots in particular, oh and the middle left and...

So, what noise reduction filter do you use? I know that reducing image size can help, but these look incredibly clean for ISO 3200!
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 5:31 PM   #4

Schweet! What lens were you using?
MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 6:23 PM   #5

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it was truly an exciting experience! I've never been so close to professional level players! I shot a quarter finals match on Friday from the General Admission bleachers. I printed some 4X6 samples and showed them to the Tournament Director on Saturday. He loved them and got me a Media Pass for the Finals on Sunday! I was pretty nervous but the 20D really shined! Actually a couple of the pros, all shooting Nikon where admiring my equipment! I was the only Canon shooter on the court!

Now to answer few questions...

Peter: Yes, they were ALL ISO3200. Ya, gotta luv it!

Squonk: I use Neat Image Pro. Just upgraded to Version 4.4 from 4.0 and I do believe there is a visable difference. I can print a pretty amazing 13 X 19. I cropped some of these quite a bit and still got great 8 X 10's. Here is a 100% crop. This is from the picture sitting in the chair.

Mitch: It's a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM. Think it's about an $800 lens. I love this lens. All shots are handheld but it did start getting heavy after 3 hours! LOL!

here is the 100% crop:

Old Feb 15, 2005, 7:06 PM   #6

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
I use Neat Image Pro. Just upgraded to Version 4.4 from 4.0 and I do believe there is a visable difference.
Eeep! My "want list" is growing all the time. Looks like I need to add Neat Image to it now - especially as I seem to have a bad habit of leaving my 20D in 1600 or 3200 and forgetting about it next time I pick up the camera. The fast shutter speeds should remind me, but what I really need is a little hand that shoots out of the top of the camera and hits me over the head with a hammer...

Really lovely work and I have to say that having seen these and some of your gymnastics posts you have inspired me to have a go at some sports shots - even if it's just Sunday League football down at the local park.

My previous shooting history has tended towards the more erm, static subjects : large lumps of rock invariably set up in a circle in the middle of some god forsaken, wind blasted peat bog (for example http://www.henge.org.uk/lewis/callanish.html ). Very few of them run around enough to warrant 5 fps.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:03 PM   #7

Now you've got me thinking... did I upgrade to 4.4 yet? I have the Pro+ (or whatever the top one is) and I like it a lot. Wouldn't want to sharpen without it... I like sharpening without bringing out the noise.

You do have some nice shots there. And I'm very impressed with neatimage removing that noise. Wow. My subjects (birds) have too much detail for 3200+noise reduction. But this looks really good (better than I thought, I hadn't tried 3200 yet.)

I was going to ask what lens, but there it is. Great job!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:20 PM   #8

I was happy with 4.0. But then I tried processing these big files and Neat Image kept crashing. So I upgraded to 4.4 (for free!) and solved my crashing problem plus I think the results are better!
Old Feb 15, 2005, 11:40 PM   #9

Nice shots, I especially like the running shots, nice timing!
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:19 AM   #10

Time for a monopod, helps relieve the weight strain, and relatively easy to keep out of the way.

Peter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Saginaw
[b]HSM. Think it's about an $800 lens. I love this lens. All shots are handheld but it did start getting heavy after 3 hours! LOL!
[/quote]
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote