Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2005, 1:26 AM   #11
Super Moderator

As an owner of the 50E I'd have to say that eye control is very much a mixed blessing.

Yes it works, but it tends to get confused if more than one person uses the camera. Also gets confused if you're wearing specs (count that as a different person). Of course the camera lets you set up different profiles, but the controls for that are very fiddly.

It's a really neat trick, but I'm glad my 20D doesn't have it.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:57 AM   #12

25D if by the end of the year...
40D next year
200D if they are KM fans :G
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:49 PM   #13

I thought about it. That sounds right to me-40D.
I think it'll be 40D, 11.1 megapixels.

BTW, how is EOS pronounced? It is the name of the daughter of Hyperion, and she is the goddess of the dawn.

For you photographers out there, do you say "E, O, S" or do you say something like "ee-o-s" (As in tea+ moss minus the /t/ and minus the /m/) or "ee-o-s" with the long /o/ as in tea+moat minus the /t/ and /m/ and /t/ and adding /oss/.

Please reply, I don't want to sound completely clueless when I walk into a nice camera superstore and ask for an EOS.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 5:47 PM   #14

Instead of the EOS they will call it the DOS.

You will be able to create subfolders on the built in micro drive.

Then the'll release a software upgrade with a graphical front end to control it

called dwindows (pronounced dee-windows).

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:04 PM   #15

Ah yes, but the DOSwill also come with only 640k because nobody will ever need more than that.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:07 PM   #16

If you are not sure how to pronounce EOS acronym just use the full name "Electro-Optical System"and watch the expressions on the sales peoples faces when you ask to see one :blah::blah::blah:

Actually just drop the "R" out of eros, and you should have it right.

Peter

[quote="[color=#0000ff]Ponin"][/color]

Quote:
BTW, how is EOS pronounced? It is the name of the daughter of Hyperion, and she is the goddess of the dawn.

For you photographers out there, do you say "E, O, S" or do you say something like "ee-o-s" (As in tea+ moss minus the /t/ and minus the /m/) or "ee-o-s" with the long /o/ as in tea+moat minus the /t/ and /m/ and /t/ and adding /oss/.

Please reply, I don't want to sound completely clueless when I walk into a nice camera superstore and ask for an EOS.[/quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 11:58 PM   #17

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
If you are not sure how to pronounce EOS acronym just use the full name "Electro-Optical System" and watch the expressions on the sales peoples faces when you ask to see one :blah::blah::blah:

Actually just drop the "R" out of eros, and you should have it right.

Peter
That helps, thanks Peter. Actually, the best part was when you called it an acronym (vs. abbreviation). Acronyms are read like a word. ROM (the museum/a type of memory) is read as rom. EOS, like Eros, according to my Myth text, is pronounced with a short /o/. Nice one on the electro-optical system. You know your stuff. What else do you do besides photography?
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 9:51 AM   #18

Thanks,

I'd like to say as little as possible :blah:

For personal stuff I also like home/theater and audio (though my Bryston stack went with the arrival of kids years ago). We also head out camping & kayaking as often as possible.

For work, I survived the latest corporate downsizing by temporally jumping ship from photography(nowoutsourced overseas) to I/T.Now am busy trying to amass enough equipment and courage to cut lose and join the wife(an artist)in thestudiofull-time.Did not realize that writing a workable business & marketing plan could turn out tobe so involved anddifficult :?

Unlike the institutional and big business world apparently the real world expects results!:?

Ponin wrote:

Quote:
You know your stuff. What else do you do besides photography?
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:01 PM   #19
wll

If it's an upgrade like the new rebel is, it should be called the 20D XT.

If it's a MAJOR change 30D.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill
wll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 3:49 PM   #20

I've always pronounced the letters, E O S (like your TEA example, I use that "e" sound)

No idea if I'm right....

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote