Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:29 PM   #11

Friend of mine is a journalist for the Marine Corps, currently they are using Nikon but he told me that they are switching to Canon D-SLRs.

Proxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:58 PM   #12

Very glad I ordered my 20D when I did then!

I ordered an Ergo rugged laptop at work back on November 5th. We had to wait for 2.5 months to finally take delivery of it because, apparently, the US military had placed an order for 5,000 of the things keeping the production lines busy for quite a while. No need to say who's order got priority "humm, these guys want 5000 of them, this guy wants one - which shall we do first?" :-)

Better go order your Canon DSLRs now guys!
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:16 PM   #13
-jb

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Check out the Singles Champ's picture... (i was unable to stay for the doubles match) Taken with my 20D... :G

www.dowcorningtennisclassic.com
Congratulations!

That shot does look a bit familiar now that you mention it... Good job!

-jb
-jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:18 PM   #14

-jb wrote:
Quote:
Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Check out the Singles Champ's picture... (i was unable to stay for the doubles match) Taken with my 20D... :G

www.dowcorningtennisclassic.com
Congratulations!

That shot does look a bit familiar now that you mention it... Good job!

-jb
I'm going to shamelessly plug that picture for at least a week! :-D
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Mr_Saginaw wrote:
I'm going to shamelessly plug that picture for at least a week! :-D
Quite right too! With all due respect to the Bennetts who took the photo of the doubles champs then I have to say I think yours is much the better photo. Humm, I guess it might be trickier to photograph doubles though? Two people running around and jumping all over the place to keep in your viewfinder!

I'm thinking that maybe I should try going to a lawn bowls match for my first sports shoot - they seem to spend most of the time standing around in the same place :-)
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:43 PM   #16

The Bennetts where a nice older couple, each with Nikon... very nice people but... I really think though I was the only one in the place with the proper lens. :lol: There was nice gentleman there from a magazine, with a Nikon, but all he had I think was a 5.6 lens.

I watch the first few minutes of the doubles while i was packing up... yes, i definitely looked a lot harder to shoot!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:31 PM   #17

Nice shot John- fine timing !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:02 AM   #18

Yes John, great picture, I love the fact that she is perfectly still in mid air and you can see the tennis ball. As far as the original topic of this post, I seem to only see Canons when I watch football games, go to events. I was in Maui, and I met Calvin Hall, he has a book out called Northern Lights, he exclusively uses Canon -the D20, he loves it. And after doing all of my research on which camera to buy, there seems to be no reason to buy a Nikon. Maybe when the D2X comes out, but even still the D70 isn't as good a camera as the D20 and the D2H is 4 megapixels. It does take great shots, quality wise, but Canon seems the way to go. Plus it is a little less expensive than Nikon. I also want to say that you guys are a hell of a lot nicer in this forum than over there in the Nikon forum. I posed the question of which brand should I buy Canon or Nikon, and I barely got a response. I think you guys responded to my post with over 18 replies (way to go guys!- I want to let you know, sincerely, how much I appreciate the help, and I hope one day to return the favor!). Either nobody is on that forum, or they don't want to be bothered with me, or they are kicking themselves for not buying a Canon. Don't worry Aladyforty. Canon's are great cameras, esp. the rebel. The important thing is you being able to take the pictures you want to take, so unless the Nikons have some feature that your Canon doesn't which is preventing you from getting great shots, then don't listen to anyone, just go out there and take pictures, that's why we are all photographers, right? (although I do get excited with all of the new technology and equipment - sometimes I feel like a typical guy! -and of course my man is an artsy fartsy type so he doesn't appreciate how cool I am for a gal!)
Nancy Gabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 2:37 AM   #19

I love the Canons, but then Ive known nothing else digital. Had three digitals all canons and never had a problem with any of them. I think it all comes down to the lenses with Dslrs anyway. A close friend has been into photography for years and has only just gone to a digital slr. Since she had all the best lenses pentax ever made she has purchased a pentax DSLR and I think it's pretty cool that all the lenses she has purchased over the years can be used with this new camera. I don't think that would be the case with Canon or Nikon. Another friend just got a new Nikon D70, he was talked into this brand over a Canon by the guy who owns the shop and is a Nikon fan, I don't particularly like the feel of the D70, mainly becauseit's smaller which is what many people like but I like a bigger camera and also the LCD screen is smaller. Still he seems really happy with it and it suits him. I have found that my biggest problem with owning a Canon DSLR is the fact that I spend a lot of time salivating of those white lenses that I can not afford:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 4:22 AM   #20
TG

Nikon must be big in Albany way out west. Here in Melbourne all I ever see is them big white lenses at the AFL Football, Formula One Grand Prix, Australian Open Tennis and so on. I was taking some pics last month at the cycle racing (Jayco Bay Classic) and there were about 10 Canon Pro Photographers to 1 Nikon guy.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote