Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:19 AM   #1

all the pros I see at sports events (at least here in OZ) seem to be using Nikons.. yet I read all the time that Canon are the leaders in Digital SLR. Why is this???? I know that our local photographer is a Nikon fan and he owns a camera shop, although he sold me the rebel he was very pro Nikon.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:54 AM   #2

I would tend to think it is personal preference. When I was shooting film I would use nothing but Minolta cameras. I liked the features and all my lenses were Minolta mount so that when I bought a new body I did not have to buy new lenses. When I went digital SLR I chose Canon and all my lenses are now Canon mount. When I decided to buy a new body it will be Canon. Almost all the companies claim thier's is the best but I still feel it is more personal preferrence.

One other thing, is it possible that the Pros are getting some kind of endorsement either money or equipment to use a certain brand? It is not unheard of. You see ads about a brand being the "official" camera of a sports organization and if they do that wouldn't it make sense to give a top end photographer some free gear to use. People will look to see what they are using just as you did and may decided that if the pro photographer uses that brand then may be they should.

Anyway that's my 2 cents on the subject:?
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:24 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Also I think maybe it's only happening in Australia - perhaps Nikon has a good marketing machine in Australia.

Everywhere else you can hardly find a pro using anything but Canon nowadays.

Check out the Oscars this year and watch the photographers - see how many white lenses you see compared to black ones. The white ones are definitely Canon, the black ones probably Nikon.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:39 PM   #4

I noticed the same thing on Sunday! I shot my first pro sporting event (tennis, small tournament). Of the 6 of us on the court, I was the only Canon guy! The rest were all Nikons. Check out the Singles Champ's picture... (i was unable to stay for the doubles match) Taken with my 20D... :G

www.dowcorningtennisclassic.com
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:21 PM   #5

How much of this could be down to previous brand loyalty? If you've already got a shed load of pro grade Nikon lenses then are you going to be willing to start all over again with Canon, or the other way around? The cost of a body is nothing compared to the investment that would have to be made in lenses IMHO.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:02 PM   #6

Actually I was talking to the kid (intern) from the local paper. He was shooting with the Nikon provided by the paper (Don't remember the model) but he told me he'ld rather be shooting with my 20D.... :lol:
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:32 PM   #7

I went looking for but was unable to find the image I saw of the magazine ad Canon took out for or after the SuperBowl where there was a shot from the scene of a sea of Canon white lenses without a single other maker in sight. Looks like Oz is uncharacteristically behind the times on this one.
Monito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:42 PM   #8

Monito wrote:
Quote:
I went looking for but was unable to find the image I saw of the magazine ad Canon took out for or after the SuperBowl where there was a shot from the scene of a sea of Canon white lenses without a single other maker in sight. Looks like Oz is uncharacteristically behind the times on this one.
Really...Sports Illustrated only uses Canon stuff. I have sideline pics for some of Tennessee football games last year & it looks like everybody holding a Gray Club!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:55 PM   #9

Monito wrote:
Quote:
...shot from the scene of a sea of Canon white lenses without a single other maker in sight...
that would be because it was staged... :G

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message...html?tid=14447
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:03 PM   #10

:shock::shock::shock:Staged you say?NOOO! No manufacturer would do that, .:-):-):lol:.would they?

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote