Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:10 AM   #1
ret

Are you keeping Canon raw images or converting them to the Adobe digtal negative? I would be interested in your opinions, both pro and con. Seems like we're going to have to move to a raw standard sooner or later.
ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:18 PM   #2

Right now I'm not feeling any compulsion to convert. It could be that DNG is the way forward, it would certainly make life a lot easier if we did have a standard.

Adobe's reasons for photographers to convert their files :-

The DNG format helps promote archival confidence, since digital imaging software solutions will be able to open your raw files more easily in the future.

I would have to say that's a "maybe" at the moment, though I guess that with the weight of Adobe behind it then they're probably right.

A single raw processing solution enables a more efficient workflow when handling raw files from multiple camera models and manufacturers.

Sure, but that doesn't apply to me right now. When I'm in the lucky position to have multiple raw shooting cameras then I guess it would make sense.

A publicly documented and readily available specification can be easily adopted by camera manufacturers and updated to accommodate future technological changes.

Genuinely interested to know if any camera manufacturers have adopted it yet?

I'm just going to sit back and see what happens. I've not tried to convert any of my raw files to dng yet, are there any other advantages? Do the files take up less space? Hehe, I guess I should go try it and see :-)
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:42 PM   #3
ret

The DNG converter program, available free from Adobe, now works with 64 different cameras including the Canon 20D. It's fairly fast and easy to use.

That means if I rent a camera somewhere, or borrow one from a friend, andit's one of those 64 cameras, I can work on it without having to load special software.

There are more cameras being added all the time.

Hopefully this would mean an end to abandoned formats.:-)
ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:01 AM   #4

For those who don't like to go digging ... get it here:
http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html
MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:35 AM   #5

ret wrote:
Quote:
The DNG converter program, available free from Adobe, now works with 64 different cameras including the Canon 20D. It's fairly fast and easy to use.

That means if I rent a camera somewhere, or borrow one from a friend, andit's one of those 64 cameras, I can work on it without having to load special software.

There are more cameras being added all the time.

Hopefully this would mean an end to abandoned formats.:-)

while i'm with you on the standardization mentality to an extent. the only flaw in your logic is if you own PSCS the ARC built into it supports all those RAW formats too. the DNG concept helps them more then it does us. it reduces the amount of programing work necessary (which we all know is time and money) to keep up with the multitude of raw types. so far there has been no rawtype "abandoned" at this point.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote