Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:58 AM   #1

Rebel XT looks good to me :-)- not impressed with MORE EF-s lenses, though.

Question. On dpreview, at the bottom of the page of the XT, I saw listed all Canon flashes that the camera is compatible with & it lists a 380EX ( or maybe it was a 480EX)?

Now, let's see, what do I have & want to sell. Mamiya 645 & 4 lenses - Finally, maybe my Elan 7 (keep the EOS-3 for sure) & a couple of Sunpak strobes. Might scrounge up enought $$$$ to order an XT. Keeping the 300D - NO problems whatsoever with that camera.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:35 AM   #2

I think another good thing about the new digiRebel XT is that it will drive the 300D price down even more......^^ was really surprised yesterday to see that my local store had droped the 300D by a full 100 CND dollars~!
Cowardlylion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:45 PM   #3

What I am hoping is that the Rebel XT will drop the price of the 20D by at least $100. On paper, it seems like the 20D isn't enough better than the XT to justify being $500 more. I know the original Digital Rebel didn't drop the price of the 10D, but it seems the XT is much closer to the 20D than the Rebel was to the 10D. I would prefer the 20D, because I want the metal body, controller wheel, custom functions, etc. But if it costs that much more than the XT, it will be very hard to justify the added cost.
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:52 PM   #4

I like how the XT starts up 10 times faster than the 300D.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:03 PM   #5

Just remember folks - the XT has the SAME fps as the 300D. Big difference in sport shooting. I shoot horse shows.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:27 PM   #6

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
Just remember folks - the XT has the SAME fps as the 300D. Big difference in sport shooting. I shoot horse shows.
The 20D has a clear advantage for sports shooting. But, for the budget minded buyer, or the less seasoned DSLR user, the XT is a better choice. It closes the gap between the 20D and the 300D, and it shares a similar APS-C sensor, and it has DIGIC II.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:45 PM   #7

I'm a bit stirring the issue between the 20D and the New Dig RebelXT. I understand the FPS is only half more compared to the Dig Rebel. And the 20D is 2 more with 5fps. Where i think the big difference is buffer rate 14 compared to 23. I think the new XT would still be a good sport camera with the extra kick. Here's a question, What would be a better camera indoors shooting sports?? Could question.... My Dig Rebel, sucks indoors for my high school games, so much i was about to give it up.. I purchased a new 1.4 lense to help, but it's a prime.. Maybe buy a 2.8 zoom.. Ok, back to what i was talking about. The biggest deal for me is the buffer rate.. Mega-pixels anymore is just a number.. Outside my Rebel Rocks. I have some awesome pee wee football pics that kick butt. But it's the buffer rate that's making me think.. And the extra money i could save for a large format printer(Epson R1800).. Any suggestions.. I do have a greenlight to get either the 20D or the Digital RebelXT..
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:57 PM   #8

macatack71 wrote:
Quote:
I'm a bit stirring the issue between the 20D and the New Dig RebelXT. I understand the FPS is only half more compared to the Dig Rebel. And the 20D is 2 more with 5fps. Where i think the big difference is buffer rate 14 compared to 23. I think the new XT would still be a good sport camera with the extra kick. Here's a question, What would be a better camera indoors shooting sports?? Could question.... My Dig Rebel, sucks indoors for my high school games, so much i was about to give it up.. I purchased a new 1.4 lense to help, but it's a prime.. Maybe buy a 2.8 zoom.. Ok, back to what i was talking about. The biggest deal for me is the buffer rate.. Mega-pixels anymore is just a number.. Outside my Rebel Rocks. I have some awesome pee wee football pics that kick butt. But it's the buffer rate that's making me think.. And the extra money i could save for a large format printer(Epson R1800).. Any suggestions.. I do have a greenlight to get either the 20D or the Digital RebelXT..
If I was in your position with a greenlight for a 20D, I would definitely go for it. It has ISO upto 3200 with very low noise across higher ISOs, which means great for indoor sports. High fps and buffer certainly don't hurt either.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:11 PM   #9

The rebel(consumer) and the 20d(prosumer) are different cameras, targeted at different audiences. The new rebel should not affect the price of the 20Dany more than the 20D affected the price of the 1d-mkII(professional) another canon 8mp camera.

All digital cameras do drop in price over time, as they age and approach their replacement date. What might cause price drops is if a competitor released a new model in direct competition with it at a lower price.

[b]UrbanPhotos wrote:
Quote:
What I am hoping is that the Rebel XT will drop the price of the 20D by at least $100.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:00 AM   #10

Hi,

If you have the Green Light for the 20D GO for it. The XT is Smaller and Lighter than the 300D. Just try and picture the XT with a Bigma lens and them trying to take a handheld shot with it.

The Rumored kit price is supposed to be $799.00 for the XT.

bluwing
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote