Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1

Will the 18-55 lens that comes with it be good enough for portraits or should I invest in another lens...and if so, which one?

Thanks!

:|
Aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:42 PM   #2

Yes, to start with. But it is a bit on the widish side.

Try it first, if you feel you need tighter framing look for somethingending in the 70mm to 100 mm range.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:54 PM   #3

I think a lot would depend upon the conditions you are planning to shoot the portraits under, what lighting would you be planning to use?

I only have the built in flash and I've certainly been getting acceptable indoor results using the 18-55mm kit lens. However I much prefer to use ambient light so I've also bought the f1.8 Canon 50mm prime lens - a bargain at around 80 UKP.I've been able to get some nice results with this by using available light near to a window.You have to be a bit careful with your depth of field at f1.8 though, quite narrow.

Tell us all a bit more about the conditions you want to shoot under and I'm sure you'll get someuseful feedback.
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 4:51 PM   #4

Sorry...I should have clarified. I want to take portraits of children with a white backdrop and (2) tungsen softboxes. What do you think?
Aziah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:03 PM   #5

Well, I'm not really qualified to talk much about portraiture as most of my work in the past has been landscape stuff and I've never worked with any flash other than that built into the camera. However I think I would go with PeterP's advice.

Hehe, if anything I'm working at the 18mm end of the 18-55mm when trying to take photos of my daughter - she runs around so much it's the only way I can keep the little tyke in frame! :-)
Squonk is offline   Reply With Quote