Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:40 PM   #11

Very good point about the 50mm f/1.8 MadWand, I too dont feel the 18-55 should be overlooked, for the price you cant get a better wide angle lens, its still got a number of pratical use, its not horrible, but its not the best either. But ever since my purchase of the Canon 28-135 USM IS , I've almost never use my 18-55 unless I really needed something on the wide end. The 18-55 is a good lens til you get something better.
kb244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:12 AM   #12

Madwand wrote:
Quote:
Is it as bad as the price difference would indicate and a bad purchase for someone on a budget / starting out? Absolutely not. Should you not get a DSLR and just wait until you can afford the 17-85 EF-S? I don't think so.

My point is that it would be better to get a 300D versusthe 350D and use the money saved to purchase a better lens (or buy the 50mm f1.8 and save some money). If you gotta have a DSLR and money is tight, then of course all you can afford is all you can afford. But I can't see the logic in buying a DSLR that is more than a starter and put on it one of thepoorest performinglenses that Canonrecently made.

Of course you are correct ... it isa starter lens and can take good pictures. But for the difference between the 300 bodyand 350 with kit lensyou can get the Tamron 28-75 (if you don't needas wide a lens as the 17-55) which is a remarkable lens for the money. The Sigma 18-50 is also a much better lens than the 17-55, but is a bit pricey.

IMO the lens is more important than 2 additional MP.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 6:43 AM   #13

kb244 wrote:
Quote:
Its always been my opinion to buy what suits your needs. Sure the 300D lacked some features that are now available in the 350D, but don't buy a camera just because it's newer or have more features but what will make you happy. Also prior to the XT's release I've seen 300D bodies go for as low as 300-400$ used by people trying to upgrade, now that the XT is out you can expect more of that to happen. I'd like to mention some of the reasons why I'm still content with my 300D but point out some of the things I wish it had but is correctible.

course we know without the hack, the 300D would be a bit more lacking.

-Print Size, even though its 6 vs 8, I still get great prints, even if I never really plan to print larger than 16x20.

-Second Curtain Flash, Would be nice, its not a major need of mine right now, but rather than trying to upgrade to the XT, I could easily put down 150$ for a SunPak PZ5000 which is supposed to rival the Canon EX550, and provide second curtain for the 300D.

-Speed. The XT is still 3fps , however it would be nice to have a larger buffer for my shooting, but in a real world scenario, I've rarely run into a crucial moment where I had to use burst and ran out of buffer, only time I think the additional buffer was needed was when I was at a golf tournament or another sporting event, 3fps is workable for me, but having more than 3 frames would be nice, also the hold the shutter half click to save into the secondary buffer is pointless now as my Sandisk Ultra II card can write as fast as the camera can push over the files into the second buffer.

-Selectible Metering mode, When I upgraded from my G3 to the rebel this was one of the first thing that confused me. However rather than setting evalutive, or center, etc, I learned to read the histogram, and work with the exposure lock on a subject.

-Mirror lockup, while I can get this with the hack, I've only had to use it when doing night shots, I assume some will use it for macro photography as well.

-Battery life, if there was one thing I was impressed with the 300D it was the battery life, seeing now as the 350D uses a smaller battery makes me glad about my rebel, however I use the grip all the time so I can double the battery power, if I am not mistaken the grip for the 350D would allow people to step upto the BP-511 but I'm not absolutly certain.

-Size of body, When seeing the XT reduce it's size slightly, especially the grip, didnt seem to appealing to me, as I'm a person that uses the bg grip all the time, just cuz I was tired of my pinky finger falling underneath the camera, but seeing as side grip being smaller on the XT I'd have to hold the XT to see if its still a good fit.

All in All, I can still do everything with my rebel that the XT can do , once I get the external flash, far as the color balance stuff on the XT thats similar to the 20D, thats why theres raw mode, but I understand the 300D/350D market is meant more for prosumer/entry level folks, that or more or less expecting the images the come out the way they want, and will primarily be shooting jpeg.

If the price were the same for both 300D and 350D i'd get the 350D for the features it already offers, but the idea is the 300D may be droping very low in price soon as the 350D hits the shelves.

Is the 350D an improvment, yes in many areas, but is it worth to either sell the 300D or overlook the purchase of a 300D... not likely at all.

Thank you for that rational post, many people I know are thinking chucking the 300D and going to the newer model, seems to me that if wanted an upgrade it would have to be the 20D. I have been slowly adding new glass, filters etc to my 300D, Ive got great shots out of this camera, including great action shots. Im in the process of bidding on a battery grip. Im sure I could keep spending money on upgrades but right now the aim is better lenses. I really would like a 20D but I think DSLRs on the whole are an open money pit that we can get sucked into with the marketing. I don't think there is much I cant do with the 300D, not enough to upgrade to the new XT anyway.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:53 AM   #14

kb244 wrote:
Quote:
Its always been my opinion to buy what suits your needs. Sure the 300D lacked some features that are now available in the 350D, but dont buy a camera just because it's newer or have more features but what will make you happy. Also prior to the XT's release I've seen 300D bodies go for as low as 300-400$ used by people trying to upgrade, now that the XT is out you can expect more of that to happen. I'd like to mention some of the reasons why I'm still content with my 300D but point out some of the things I wish it had but is correctible.

course we know without the hack, the 300D would be a bit more lacking.

-Print Size, even though its 6 vs 8, I still get great prints, even if I never really plan to print larger than 16x20.

-Second Curtain Flash, Would be nice, its not a major need of mine right now, but rather than trying to upgrade to the XT, I could easily put down 150$ for a SunPak PZ5000 which is supposed to rival the Canon EX550, and provide second curtain for the 300D.

-Speed. The XT is still 3fps , however it would be nice to have a larger buffer for my shooting, but in a real world scenario, I've rarely run into a crucial moment where I had to use burst and ran out of buffer, only time I think the additional buffer was needed was when I was at a golf tournament or another sporting event, 3fps is workable for me, but having more than 3 frames would be nice, also the hold the shutter half click to save into the secondary buffer is pointless now as my Sandisk Ultra II card can write as fast as the camera can push over the files into the second buffer.

-Selectible Metering mode, When I upgraded from my G3 to the rebel this was one of the first thing that confused me. However rather than setting evalutive, or center, etc, I learned to read the histogram, and work with the exposure lock on a subject.

-Mirror lockup, while I can get this with the hack, I've only had to use it when doing night shots, I assume some will use it for macro photography as well.

-Battery life, if there was one thing I was impressed with the 300D it was the battery life, seeing now as the 350D uses a smaller battery makes me glad about my rebel, however I use the grip all the time so I can double the battery power, if I am not mistaken the grip for the 350D would allow people to step upto the BP-511 but I'm not absolutly certain.

-Size of body, When seeing the XT reduce it's size slightly, especially the grip, didnt seem to appealing to me, as I'm a person that uses the bg grip all the time, just cuz I was tired of my pinky finger falling underneath the camera, but seeing as side grip being smaller on the XT I'd have to hold the XT to see if its still a good fit.

All in All, I can still do everything with my rebel that the XT can do , once I get the external flash, far as the color balance stuff on the XT thats similar to the 20D, thats why theres raw mode, but I understand the 300D/350D market is meant more for prosumer/entry level folks, that or more or less expecting the images the come out the way they want, and will primarily be shooting jpeg.

If the price were the same for both 300D and 350D i'd get the 350D for the features it already offers, but the idea is the 300D may be droping very low in price soon as the 350D hits the shelves.

Is the 350D an improvment, yes in many areas, but is it worth to either sell the 300D or overlook the purchase of a 300D... not likely at all.
Reading information has lead me to believe that the Digic II processor conserves power by about 35% which let them drop down to the smaller battery. With that smaller battery you're supposed to be able to get approx. 400 pictures with 50% flash, and 650 with no flash as long as you aren't shooting in the cold.

As for the battery grip, I believe it will let you use 2 of the smaller XT batteries or 6 AA batteries (I assume an adaptor is involved like some other grips) which in my mind gives it even more flexibility. 2 batteries for double the battery life and if you're really stuck, pop out your external flash AA's and toss them in for a bit more life.

On the subject of camera size, I really like the 350D's smaller size. I work in a digital camera store and have handled tons of DSLR's and they all feel a bit on the big side for me. I've borrowed the Rebel a few times and again, it always felt a bit too big. I have a feeling the 350D is going to fit my hands perfectly and look forward to handling it next time I work if we have any in stock.
ScaryFast is offline   Reply With Quote