Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:20 PM   #1

I know that the 20D is awesome at low noise at high ISOs, but how will the XT compare to the 20D? They are both about 8MP, so will the chips be much the same?
KM_krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 6:37 PM   #2
Administrator

It is a different sensor.

The largest image size from the newRebel XT is 3456 x 2304(versus3504 x 2336 from the EOS-20D).

We'll need to wait on camera reviews and user reports to see how it performs.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:47 PM   #3

I would bet that the XT performance at the same ISO's as the 20D will be nearly identical ... so I wouldn't base a decision on this.

You should choose between the XT and the 20D for the right reasons. While they both look similar, the differences continue to place the 20D in the prosumer market while the XT is a consumer DSLR (my opinion ... no prob if you disagree):

Edited ...

20D XT

Ruggedness metal body plastic body
fps 5 3
burst 23 14
max ISO 3200 1600
max Tv 1/8000 1/4000
Autofocus 9 point 7 point
MP 8.2 8.0
Cust functions 18 9
Flash x-sync 1/250s 1/200s

Other 20D advantages:

*Battery life for the XT is 1/3 less than the 20D
* 20D has higher precision autofocus
* 20D has faster autofocus
* 20D has a pentaprism with greater viewfinder magnification vs pentamirror for the XT
* 20D shutter designed for 100,000 actuations vs 50,000 for the XT
* 20D has a joystick, the XT doesn't
* 20D has a quick control dial on the back, the XT doesn't
* 20D ships with Adobe PS Elements 2.0 ($90 US value based on Staples), the XT doesn't
* 20D autofocus will work in 1 stop lower light than the XT
* 20D has less shutter lag time than the XT
* 20D has a higher speed mirror than the XT

The XT isalso smaller thanthe DReb,andI'm wondering how balance it would feel with a large lens. Personally I like the way the 20D feels. I also prefer the controls on the 20D (from the reviews I've seen)... although it would be nice to try one out before passing final judgement.

Both of these appear to be excellent cameras, and the XT will be enough for many that would have bought a 20D just for the extra MP. So, if MP is all you are interested in then the XT is the way to go ... if you are looking for specs that more closely resemble a pro camera buy the 20D.

By the way, there may soon be some pretty good deals on 300D's ... which may make the 300D the very best bang for the buck.

Bob

BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 9:23 PM   #4

Good point about the price. For some, the 300D may fit their budget. The 300D is being advertised now in Toronto for $800 CDN (~$645 USD). On the Canon website, it says that the 350D will retail for $1450 CDN (~$1169 USD). This is enough to keep some away from the 350D or the 20D ($2000 CDN) for financial reasons.
Ponin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:01 PM   #5

Wow, $800 Cdn is a great price. The 300D is still a really nice camera, so some people are in for a good deal.

Bob
Old Feb 18, 2005, 3:06 AM   #6

300D was a crippled 10D, the sensor was a 10D too-many-hotpixels reject, plastic body, not manual select of some important functions - kind of a camera...
Besides plastic body I was searching for crippled manual functions in the 350D but haven't found any... so, it is something like a 20D but made from plastic??
Good marketing Canon boyz... should we sell our 20D for a 350D + some of your lens?

Now seriously, I am happy for the future owners of the 350D, but now that I own a 20D I am just a bit...

Only time will tell...
pauza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:00 AM   #7

Don't get TOO excited folks- this is just another step in taking the DSLR to the masses. Remember they are trying to SELL more.

Us semi-pros are going to see more "muddying of the waters" for our markets.

Latest and greatest- won't make you the best-est.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:27 AM   #8

pauza wrote:
Quote:
... so, it is something like a 20D but made from plastic??
Good marketing Canon boyz... should we sell our 20D for a 350D + some of your lens?

Now seriously, I am happy for the future owners of the 350D, but now that I own a 20D I am just a bit...

It's only like a 20D made of plastic if the only reason you picked the 20D over the 300D was for the extra MP. IMO a 6 MP camera with ALL of the features of the 20D would be closer to the 20D than what the 350D is (which is why some picked the Nikon D70 over the 300D). But if all you are interested in MP then the 350D is a fantastic camera. Heck, it's a fantastic camera anyways for someone that doesn't need the same specs as a 20D.

One thing brought up several times in other forums is that the shutter life of the 300D was, I believe, about half of the 20D. Another tick in the ruggedness column.

Bob
Old Feb 18, 2005, 1:01 PM   #9
Super Moderator

i agree with all that have said similar.. one must realize that these are two different camera's targeting two different audiences.. rather than compare 20d to digirebxt.. you should compare across categories.. ie. 20d vs maxxum 7d vs *st D... and digirebxt vs d70 vs *st ds..

similarly, if you are a canon user and have many lenses.. rather than say, the 20d is better than the digirebxt and vice versa.. say, what do i need in a camera? do i need 5 fps, do i need an all metal body, etc etc...

bottom line, they are/will be wonderful camera's that are arguably the best camera's in their particular market..

and if you really can't decide.. buy them both...

enjoy, Dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote